About the role
Shopify powers over one million merchants around the world, and we’re just getting started. This role will be part of the International Growth team, a segment within Shopify with the mission to make commerce better for everyone... everywhere. Our Singapore office will focus on export-oriented merchants within APAC, and related functionalities and features.
We’re looking for Senior Web Developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. You’ll work closely with the software engineering team, designers and product managers delivering merchant-facing products. You’ll gain a ton of perspective as you connect with different people that work on related parts of Shopify.
The tools you will use include: TypeScript, React, GraphQL and more! We don’t expect you to necessarily know all of these when you apply, just have a passion for learning and continuous improvement!
We are looking for:
- A generalist rather than a specialist - you're excited by experimentation and unblocking anything that stands in the way of success
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with other teams, across offices, and time zones
- A genuine interest in APAC, emerging markets, cultural nuances and/or product localization
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
Relevant experience for the role:
- Embracing React at the moment, but also have knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- Developing front-end web applications that perform well on all devices using modern languages and frameworks
- Working with one or more modern web stacks (transpilers, linters, build and CI tools, etc.)
- Doing performance optimizations on complex client-side applications
- Writing automated tests as part of your development workflow (even better if you do it TDD)
- Working in large and diverse teams
- Providing highly effective code reviews and peer support
Projects you could work on:
- Collaborating with other disciplines across Engineering, UX, and Product to help develop front-end solutions for merchant problems
- Building performant web applications that are responsive and accessible
- Developing complex applications based on React and GraphQL
- Contributing to our shared design system and component library Polaris, and also to our other shared, open source libraries used to build applications
- Learning the latest front-end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best tools and techniques possible
- Advocating for great UX
- Writing and maintaining unit and integration tests
Tools and the nitty-gritty:
- Our front-end uses React, TypeScript and CSS Modules
- We build all our projects with a collaborative code review process using Github Flow
- We are modernizing our front-end stack to use a component system built with React, TypeScript, Apollo/GraphQL, and CSS modules
- You will likely be involved in modernizing existing Ruby on Rails based apps to use a React front-end, and building new React-based apps
How to apply
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: Github, website, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jennifer is looking forward to reading your application.