About the role
Shopify is looking for accomplished full-stack developers to join our Data Platform Engineering team. In our world, we care deeply about the availability, performance, and stability of the data processing and storage engines that power Shopify’s many data products. This isn’t a traditional Data Engineering role, you would not be building individual pipelines for analytics users, and is closer in scope to software engineering roles tied to web-scale platform development.
We support the organization in making better decisions. We deploy and maintain a variety of scalable technologies for extracting and transforming a multitude of different sources of data, including Shopify’s operational databases. We have a petabyte scale YARN cluster running Apache Spark for transformation, and a variety of analytics technologies on top of it.
We need passionate software and operations developers who get excited about how data can empower the 1M+ merchants that use Shopify today. Apply now to join one of our many teams hiring: Data Distribution, Data Acquisition, Data Modelling, Storage and Query Technologies, and Machine Learning Platform.
You'll need to have:
- Extensive software development experience - you are proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, a variety of languages and paradigms, TDD, etc.
- Extensive database experience - you are familiar with things like SQL query authoring, table design patterns for OLAP and OLTP, a variety of databases, and the tradeoffs between them
- Experience with building and maintaining distributed systems and knowledge of the associated patterns, concerns, and tradeoffs
- Demonstrated ability to work in multiple languages and platforms
It'd be nice if you had:
- Python, Spark, Scala, Go, or Java
- Cloud Computing (Google Cloud, AWS, Azure)
- Optimized storage strategies such as columnar file formats, partitioning, bucketing, and bloom filters
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Analytics Developer, Merchant Data||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Data Scientist - Multiple Roles||Data Science and Engineering||Toronto, Canada|
|Senior Data Scientist - Product Sourcing||Data Science and Engineering||Toronto, Canada|
|Data Science Manager - Risk Algorithms||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Data Scientist - Multiple Roles||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|