About the role
Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. Many core Rails features were developed at Shopify, and we’re constantly improving our codebase to make it better or leaner. We ship on quality instead of time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Hundreds of thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – an incredibly rewarding responsibility.
In San Francisco, we’re building conversational tools to help our Shopify merchants grow their business and succeed on Shopify. Growing a customer-base from scratch is hard, so we create products to help merchants get more done with less time. Join us as we build conversational interfaces to power autonomous labor.
Requirements for the role:
- Foundation of design principles, especially when it relates to platform development in the areas of API, data modeling, and scale
- A mindset for long-term solutions; you’ll need to assess system wide impacts that ensure the product evolves in the right way
- A curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things
- History of establishing great relationships with other teams and across offices
- Affinity for mentorship; you’ll help developers grow to become senior contributors, and establish new mandates that will enable senior developers to take on technical leadership roles
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails is a bonus, but not required
Some of the projects our team works on:
- Kit - a virtual employee to help Shopify entrepreneurs market their products
- Ping - a place where merchants can message customers and Kit through a variety of mediums
You'll be working on things like:
- Writing back-end code in Ruby and possibly Go
- Learning and growing constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Providing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using TDD to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve interesting problems
- Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Tess is looking forward to reading your application.
Closing date: Monday, July 29th at 9am PST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Software Engineer||Engineering and Development||San Francisco, United States|