About the role
As a Software Engineering Manager, you're probably wondering: what do Frontend Development Teams work on at Shopify?
What you'll do as a Frontend Software Engineering Manager at Shopify:
- Manage a team and help them prioritize, build, and ship the most impactful features to our merchants and community of developers
- As a member of the product area leadership, build a composite roadmap that reflects the priorities in the different areas and continuously rebalance the teams to react to changes in the surrounding conditions
- Work on problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants
- Build your team, both through internal development and external hiring
- Improve yourself as a leader by learning with and from other leaders across Shopify, Shopify's internal leadership development pathways, and through your own self-directed learning
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- Proven team leadership skills - your management skills and technical depth allow you to develop and mentor others and build credibility with your team, while executing broader engineering strategies
- Proven background in UX or Web Development. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with developers at all levels of seniority
- Familiarity with distributed and highly available systems at scale
- Experience designing and developing APIs
- Comfort working with senior stakeholders (Director level and up), both technical and non-technical
- Success in building and growing teams of engineers during your career
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.