About the role
You’ll be working on things like:
- Managing teams and helping them prioritize, build and ship the most impactful features to our merchants and community of developers.
- As a member of the product area leadership, build a composite roadmap that reflects the priorities in the different areas and continuously rebalance the teams to react to changes in the surrounding conditions.
- Work on problems with your teams, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants.
- Grow a team, both through internal development and external hiring.
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- Proven team leadership skills. Your management skills and technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies.
- Proven software development background in one of the disciplines listed above: Backend, Mobile, UX, or Web Development. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with developers at all levels of seniority.
- Familiarity with distributed and highly available systems at scale.
- Experience designing and developing APIs.
- You are comfortable working with senior stakeholders (Director level and up), both technical and non technical.
- You have successfully built and grown teams of engineers during your career.
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet: https://www.shopify.com/about/environment#SustainabilityReports
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
Not what you’re looking for?Check out these similar roles.
|QA Engineer (Europe - Remote)||Engineering & Development||EMEA|
|Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Remote, EMEA)||Engineering & Development||EMEA|
|Technical Facilitator (Data), (Remote, Europe)||Engineering & Development||EMEA|
|Senior Software Engineer – Backend or Infrastructure (Remote, Europe)||Engineering & Development||EMEA|
|Senior Frontend Engineer – Mobile or Frontend Development (Remote, Europe)||Engineering & Development||EMEA|
|Tech Lead Software Engineer – Mobile or Frontend Development (Remote, Europe)||Engineering & Development||EMEA|
|Tech Lead Software Engineer – Backend or Infrastructure (Remote, Europe)||Engineering & Development||EMEA|