About the role
With Shop, we have set out to reimagine the online shopping experience. From personalized recommendations to live order tracking, Shop offers visibility, personalized experiences, and peace of mind in one convenient place. By looking at the common pain points in the customer’s shopping journey today and developing specific features like local business discovery, Shop will help both our merchants and their customers develop more meaningful relationships and connections along the way.
Our team operates like a start-up within an established company. The leadership team decides on key themes and members of our team get assigned to them. Then, it's up to the team to solve each problem, which means they work closely with our UX and PMs. As independent teams, we have the flexibility to make our own decisions and work autonomously. And at the end of each week, we share and demo our work with the rest of the team.
The Shop team in Europe is looking for a dedicated and experienced Development Manager to lead a new team. The right person enjoys rolling up their sleeves and writing code as well as managing and growing a team.
What you'll do as a Software Engineering Manager at Shopify:
- Managing the growth and development of talented technical teams
- Giving timely and constructive feedback, as well as being open to receiving it!
- Setting expectations, and holding teams accountable
- Working with your team to build a highly scalable system
- Designing, building, deploying and maintaining Ruby-based GraphQL APIs with new resources, features, and improvements. You will be hands on keyboard for 30-40% of time at the beginning of this role as we grow out the team
- Building performant solutions that scale to hundreds of millions of users
- We mostly use Ruby on Rails, along with Kafka for a messaging bus, Redis for background jobs, and ElasticSearch for search. We deploy 10+ times a day to Google Cloud with Kubernetes
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
- Experience with web or mobile applications for a consumer facing audience
- Worked on large scale, high throughput systems and scaling web/api services
- Strong foundation in Object Oriented programming and fluency in at least one OO language
- Comfortable with relational databases and SQL (we mostly use MySQL)
- A commitment and drive for quality, and building for the long term
- A love of your craft and a curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things
- A track record of taking ownership on problems and projects
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.