About the role
Shopify is first and foremost a product company. We believe we can use software to continually simplify how commerce happens around the world. Our data - how we acquire it and make use of it across Shopify - is a vital underpinning of this mission. Our data, platforms, and hundreds of data scientists continuously deliver internal insights and deep product understanding to measure and guide an ever-growing list of essential products and features. These are powered by fresh, low-latency data delivered by our streaming platforms to millions of merchants and hundreds of millions of their customers.
Data Platform Engineering powers all of this. In our world, we care deeply about the availability, performance, and stability of the data processing and storage engines that power Shopify’s many data products. We deploy and maintain a variety of scalable technologies for extracting and transforming a multitude of different sources of data, including Shopify’s operational databases, events streams, and third-party datasets. We have a petabyte scale YARN cluster running Apache Spark for transformation, and a variety of analytics technologies on top of it.
We are looking for senior leaders to manage the engineering teams that build and maintain the data platform that powers Shopify’s merchant facing applications. As a leader of leaders, this role will guide an existing team of talented data developers as we go about developing the next generation of our platform. We deploy and maintain a variety of high throughput, low latency, and scalable technologies for extracting, transforming, and serving large datasets for production workloads, for some of the worlds best brands.
Your Key Attributes:
- Software-engineering expert with a passion for data -- You are an engineering-focused leader of experienced teams involved in building and scaling data platforms. You've played a pivotal role in the development of large-scale production systems using modern toolsets and technologies.
- Technical leadership and management experience (you'll enjoy doing both). You can jump into the code to the level that your direct/indirect reports admire and respect, but are also interested in developing people and capacity for your team.
- Thought leadership -- you are deeply familiar with the evolution of cloud-based technologies and have a point of view on what makes them better/worse in various situations.
- Extensive software development experience - you are proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, a variety of languages and paradigms, TDD, etc.
- Experience with building and maintaining distributed systems and knowledge of the associated patterns, concerns, and tradeoffs.
It'd be great if you had technical experience with:
- Cloud platforms: GCP, AWS, AzureData
- Storage and Access: HDFS, Presto, Parquet, Iceberg, GCS, BigTable
- Data processing/integration: Kafka, Spark, DataflowAnalytics
- Datastores: AWS Redshift, GCP BigQuery, Druid, Pinot, ClickHouse, Kylin
- Visualization: D3, Mode Analytics, Tableau
- Development Languages: Python, Java, Ruby, Scala, Go, Kotlin
Hiring Process Timelines:
- August 14th, 2020: Deadline to submit application.
- Late August: Preliminary discussions
- Early September: Final interviews
- Ideal Start Date: Late September or early October
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
This posting will close at 9am EDT on Friday, August 14th, 2020.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.