About the role
Shopify's user experience team is focused on enabling people to make commerce better at a global scale. This team plays a special role in building understanding and empathy for our merchants. The content design team is a close-knit group of crafters who work across the company to create clear, concise content that makes our products work better.
We’re looking for a staff level content designer to plan and create interface content for Shopify products, and contribute to our team's skills and growth. This position requires deep understanding of the role language plays in the UX design process. This isn’t a marketing or social media role.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
- Contributing to the cultivation and evolution of a coherent editorial voice, tone and feel across the entire Shopify platform
- Acting as thought leader on the development of new features, and continuously improving what we have today
- Applying strategic thinking and facilitative leadership skills to conceptualize ideas and communicate them compellingly to internal stakeholders, partners and customers
- Building positive, collaborative relationships with product design, development, marketing, and the broader UX team, as well as continuously "raising the bar" as an effective leader of positive change
- Being an active mentor for content crafters, leading design critiques, reviews, and quarterly planning
- Defining and implementing information architecture and navigation systems across complex products
- Expert knowledge of the end to end iterative UX content design process, in a product-focused environment
- Deep experience driving and applying user-centered content design processes while working with cross-functional teams including product design, development and user research
- Experience writing and structuring language to respond to audience needs.
- Demonstrated ability to create, implement, and maintain content standards across an organization
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
- Empathy and advocacy for merchants and their buyers, in all areas of our work
Shopify is now permanently remote, and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Yohannah is looking forward to reading your application.
Closing date: Friday, October 22 at 11:59PM EDT. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us by Monday, October 25 at 5 pm EDT.
How we hire
Not what you’re looking for?Check out these similar roles.
|Staff Designer, Shop (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Content Designer - Brand & Audience Expansion (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Principal Designer, Marketing (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Designer (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Marketing Designer (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Product Designers (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Content Designer, Shipping (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Content Designer - Global Marketing||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Content Designers (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Staff Product Designers (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|UX Manager, Multiple Teams (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|
|Principal Product Designer, Core (Remote, Americas)||UX and Design||Americas|