About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down!
Staff Developers use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. They're problem finders. Staff Developers help drive the product vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and think deeply about empowering other developers. You’ll also be hands-on in our code and will contribute technically.
About the team
As part of the Store Management Foundations team, the User Access team is enhancing Identity Access Management across Shopify services. Projects like finer-grained permissions, management of roles and deeper control over staff actions are just some of the features you will be helping develop. On this team, you'll work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with UX and Product Management teams across offices, and time zones
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
It would be great if you have:
- A history of contributing to the developer community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing events
- Experience helping build a productive and engaged team
- Experience developing on a leading cloud provider (GCE, AWS, Azure, …)
- Experience with performance testing, load simulation or build pipeline tooling is an added bonus
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jennifer is looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: March 27th at 5:00pm PST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Software Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Waterloo, New York, San Francisco, Berlin, Stockholm, Vilnius, Singapore, Remote|
|Production Engineering - Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Vancouver|
|Mobile Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Waterloo, New York, San Francisco, Berlin, Stockholm, Vilnius, Singapore, Remote|