About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down!
Every day millions of buyers use Shopify’s checkout platform to purchase products from our over one million merchants. People want to buy wherever they are and however they want. Checkout is part of it all: online, on mobile, in-store, on marketplaces, on social media, and in VR/AR. During the 2018 Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend, $1.5 billion of GMV (Gross Merchandise Volume) went through our platform with a peak of 10,978 orders processed per minute. Our limits are constantly being pushed. This is a role where you can think big! What is the future of checkout? How can Shopify build the best buying experiences on the planet (and beyond)?
The Checkout Platform team is looking for a Staff Developer to help lead the technical direction of scaling our platform to support checkouts and payment processing across channels. This platform also powers integrations between checkout and different systems at Shopify, like shipping and logistics. You’ll get to work with great developers to build and grow a crucial function of our platform, and ship world class products on a global scale.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, Python
- Firm understanding of Object Oriented Programming principles and hands-on experience with Domain Driven Design
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Understanding of (Integration) Patterns of Enterprise Applications
- Experience building large scale, high throughput transactional systems (experience with different consistency models is a plus)
- Deep understanding of datastore technologies like MySQL, Postgres etc. and how to scale their usages, both vertically & horizontally, in large distributed environments
What you’ll work on:
- Build high quality, globally available, fault tolerant systems and products
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants
- Be a technical influencer across the company
- Grow the team both through internal development and helping with external hiring
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: Monday December 23rd at 12pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Production Engineering Manager, Production Foundations||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer||Engineering and Development||Montreal - Office|
|Production Engineering - Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Montreal - Office|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Email Deliverability Specialist||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Development Manager, Returns||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|