About the role
About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help over 1 million independent business owners around the world start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down!
Every day our merchants navigate huge amounts of content on our platform to fulfill orders, respond to customers’ feedback, check their inventory or find a specific product or setting. Without intuitive search and custom tailored recommendations to provide user friendly answers, these tasks would be impossible. The Wayfinding team builds the foundational platform and features to overcome these challenges. This is a role where you can redefine what search and filtering means and what the future of the platform will look like.
We’re looking for a Staff Developer to lead the technical direction and help build a new search service from scratch. The search service will power our information retrieval system and will help our merchants navigate the ever increasing complexity of their business. You’ll get to work with great developers to build and grow a crucial piece of our platform, and ship world class products on a global scale.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- An understanding of signal modelling and relevance engineering (experience with Elasticsearch, Solr and/or Lucene is a plus)
- An understanding of the principles of building a knowledge-based information retrieval system
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) Ruby, Go, Java, Rust
- An interest in writing efficient, and optimized code with low latency requirements
- Deep understanding of how to design and build an extensible service platform
What you’ll be working on:
- Take the lead on building a high quality, globally available, fault tolerant information retrieval system
- Working through problems with your team, mentor team members and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Working with other members of the team from different disciplines to help inform decisions you make and the best solutions
- Growing the team both through internal development and external hiring
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Director of Technical Education, R&D||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Program Manager - Technical Education||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Shopify Dev Degree - 2020||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto|
|Program Manager - Continuing Education||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Development Manager - Platform||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Developer Advocate||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Program Manager - Technical Education Platform||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developer, Search||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|