About the role
Shopify is redefining commerce and raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products. We create tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed, while at the same time designing solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is our passion.
The Channels product line is focused on developing the solutions to build a merchant’s multi-channel offering to its customers, wherever they are - whether it be through online stores, physical retail stores, marketing technology, or partnering with leading platforms to reach millions of people with commerce. Their focus is on product innovation, new experiences, and driving sales and marketing capabilities deeply rooted in helping our merchants grow.
As a Staff Product Designer on Metrics team within Channels, you will lead the design of metrics and attribution within Shopify. You’ll help us give merchants a clear view of how their store is performing across external channels and guide them on next steps. In this role, you'll join Shopify’s growing UX team of 450+ Designers, Content Strategists, UX Researchers, and UX Developers, who play a key role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. This is a leadership role on our individual contributor track of leadership.
Requirements for the role:
- Expert knowledge of the end to end iterative UX product design process, including job stories, journey mapping, creating user flow charts, content modelling, wire-framing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working with cross-functional teams including development, product management, and user research
- A deep empathy for the user and an ability to become an expert in new areas
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
- Ability to turn a complex problem into a simple solution, leveraging education best practices and creating new mental models
- Working with cross-functional teams (developers, product managers, researchers, content strategists, fellow designers) to drive design vision and strategy that meets the needs of our users
- Applying strategic thinking to visualize ideas and concepts and communicate them effectively and compellingly for internal stakeholders, partners and customers
- Using facilitative leadership skills to drive to the best outcome for stakeholders, partners and customers
- Building positive, collaborative relationships with product management, development, marketing, and the broader UX team, as well as continuously "raising the bar" as an effective leader of positive change
- Running design workshops and helping to guide, improve, and implement design and feedback processes
- Using our design language to articulate solutions and UI that make the complex consumable and intuitive
- Being an active mentor for junior and senior designers, and help lead critique, design reviews, and quarterly planning
- Contributing to our growing design system in an effort to cultivate a coherent look and feel across the entire Shopify platform
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jen is looking forward to reading your application.
Closing date: Monday, August 17th at 12pm EDT. You can expect to hear back from us (regardless of outcome) by Monday, August 23rd at 5pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.