Staff Product Designer
- UX and Design
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Shopify's User Experience team is focused on enabling people to make commerce better at a global scale. With over 750 designers and content designers partnering closely with product managers, product researchers and developers working across the company, this team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow. The UX team at Shopify has the mission to make commerce better for everyone… everywhere!
As a Staff Product Designer, you’ll lead design projects of significant scope, complexity and responsibility in creative vision, strategy and execution, meaning limitless opportunities for you to turn your ideas into reality. You’ll work closely with teams to frame user needs and behaviour, define optimized user flow, and tweak pixels before launch. You’ll collaborate with a multidisciplinary UX, product management and engineering team to deliver thoughtful and polished design work that is grounded in solid research and validation.
- Working with cross-functional teams (developers, product managers, product researchers, content designers, fellow designers) to drive design vision and strategy that meets the needs of our users
- Applying strategic thinking to visualize ideas and concepts and communicate them effectively and compellingly for internal stakeholders, partners and customers
- Using facilitative leadership skills to drive to the best outcome for stakeholders, partners and customers
- Building positive, collaborative relationships with product management, development, marketing, and the broader UX team, as well as continuously "raising the bar" as an effective leader of positive change
- Running design thinking workshops and helping to guide, improve, and implement design and feedback processes
- Being an active mentor for senior designers, and helping lead critique, design reviews, and quarterly planning
- Expert knowledge of the end to end product design process, demonstrating a command of product strategy, distilling the jobs to be done for a given user, journey mapping, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- The ability to craft beautiful designs and delightful, useful, and usable experiences; you have strengths in visual design, interaction, and product design
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working with cross-functional teams including development, product management, and product research
- Proficient in product design tools such as Figma, Sketch, Origami, Principal
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering