About the role
Over a million businesses have bet their success on the reliability and performance of the Shopify platform. Uptime, resiliency and efficiency are critical to our merchants and as a result of Shopify's rapid growth and massive scale, we have many interesting and challenging infrastructure problems to solve.
The Network Foundations team is responsible for Shopify’s networking infrastructure. Over the past several years, we have been hard at work architecting solutions to handle the scale of traffic on Shopify’s platform. Our custom load balancing solution currently handles 15 million+ requests per minute and is just one example of the critical systems the team maintains ownership of. We continue to strive to be industry leaders and have demonstrated this through contributions to the Open Source ingress-nginx project and early adoption of Google Cloud Platform technologies. We are currently a fully distributed team of eight and are excited to welcome new members to help take us to the next level!
As a member of Shopify’s Network Foundations team you’ll be directly responsible for the availability, scalability and integrity of Shopify’s internal routing and cloud network. As a Staff Production Engineer you will be expected to apply your expertise to forge the path towards building a standardized and transparent service communication layer reaching hundreds of applications.
Required experience for the role:
- Are an experienced Golang, Lua or Ruby developer.
- Experience in an SRE or DevOps related role.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the underlying mechanics and protocols affiliated with multiple layers of the OSI model (L3 to L7).
- Demonstrate proficiency designing and improving how services handle traffic and communicate at scale.
- Understand the fundamentals of Kubernetes.
- Experience troubleshooting and diagnosing issues relating to DNS, TCP/IP and SSL.
- Experience leading the architecture and automation of infrastructure within a cloud or self-hosted environment.
- Be a self-starter and a team player keen on mentoring others and growing your own skill set within a fast paced environment.
Relevant experience for the role:
- Familiar with eBPF and/or service mesh technologies.
- Experience with Terraform and/or building infrastructure orchestration tooling for Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience working on a remote or distributed engineering team.
Projects you could work on:
- Learn about Shopify’s Cloud Network architecture and get comfortable with how to build, test and ship changes.
- Collaborate with the team on projects that improve the resiliency, transparency and unification of Shopify’s Cloud Network.
- Provide support to internal teams and lead the design of features which improve the experience of running a service on the platform for developers.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
This posting will close on November 25th at 5pm ET. You can expect to hear back from us (regardless of outcome) by Wednesday, December 9th at 5pm ET.