About the role
Over a million businesses have bet their success on the stability and performance of the Shopify platform. In order to support these growing businesses—and the next million—our systems need to be fast, reliable, and scalable.
The Search Platform team owns the speed, reliability, and scalability of search at Shopify. We build and maintain the tools that other Shopify developers use to provision, use, monitor, and scale their search clusters. Currently, there are more than 50 of these clusters in production, some of which have multiple indices with billions of documents each.
We act as internal search experts, working with teams across Shopify to collaborate on effective index and query strategies. Our goal is to have developers focused on solving their application-specific problems, rather than worrying about the infrastructure on which their application depends.
And we’re looking to add more search experts to our team! Do you have experience building search platforms or search infrastructure? We’d love to talk to you.
Required experience for the role:
- Experience with full-text search systems (Elasticsearch, Solr, Lucene, or similar)
- Experience designing, building, and maintaining complex systems at scale
- Strong programming foundations (we use a lot of Ruby and Go, but we believe that good programmers can work in any language)
- Enthusiasm for remote collaboration (our team is distributed!)
Projects you could work on:
- Building and scaling Elasticsearch clusters on Kubernetes
- Improving self-service tooling for developers to create, modify, or destroy an Elasticsearch cluster with the press of a button
- Monitoring and enhancing the quality and performance of search at Shopify
- Investigating and resolving production issues
- Acting as a technical leader for the team and a mentor to other developers
How to Apply:
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Posting will close: November 25th at 11:59pm ET. You can expect to hear back from us (regardless of outcome) by December 9th at 5pm ET.