About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce by raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services. To help power 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, Shopify is always growing and finding new ways to create more value for commerce businesses around the world.
Shopify's User Experience team is focused on enabling people to make commerce better at a global scale. With over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and developers working across the company, this team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
About the Role
As a Staff UX Researcher on the Shopify Plus team, you will have a special role in building understanding and empathy for our enterprise merchants. This is a leadership role on our Individual Contributor path. You will help us build real connections with merchants, and bring these insights into product teams across Shopify. You will work with a multidisciplinary UX team of product managers, designers, content strategists, user researchers, and developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world. The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts and prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
You’ll be working on:
- Helping to define our product roadmap by understanding and advocating for user needs across multiple touchpoints
- Articulating research questions and priorities with multiple teams and using a range of research methods to answer those questions
- Synthesizing and summarizing findings using multiple data sources to inform product, UX, engineering, and marketing decisions
- Collaborating closely with designers, engineers, product managers, and other disciplines to design, implement, and track the success of products
- Identifying and helping solve wider merchant problems across teams and product areas
- Mentoring other UX disciplines, levelling up our UXR team, and helping evolve our tools and research best practices to continually grow and improve the discipline.
You'll need to have:
- A passion for unpacking and solving complex systems problems that span across multiple contexts
- The ability to identify the best UX research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX product and service design process
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking. Example research methods may include observations and in-depth interviewing, usability and accessibility testing, diary studies, card sorting, eye and click tracking, surveys
- The ability to clearly communicate insights and recommendations to different audiences.
The right person for this role will:
- Put merchants first: Our UX team is focusing on creating user-centric, high impact, high quality experiences. We have a deep empathy for our merchants and understand that we design and build products for them.
- Build for the long-term: you’ll work with your team to prioritize what problems to explore and address by critically evaluating merchant impact, product vision, and technical capabilities.
- Work collaboratively: you’ll have an understanding that great experiences come from collaborative decision-making with other disciplines. You’ll build strong working relationships with peers and stakeholders to act in our merchants’ best interests.
- Be self-directed: Shopify is at the intersection of two exciting industries, tech and commerce. Every day is different and we thrive on ambiguity. You’ll adapt to shifting approaches, situations, and priorities, and use your experience and judgement to create the best possible solutions.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application.
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
Closing date: Monday, February 24th at 9am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.