About the role
Make Commerce Better for Everyone. This, above all else, is Shopify’s mission.
Shopify is a commerce platform built for independent business owners of all sizes to start, sell, market, and manage their businesses online, in-store, and everywhere in between.
The Talent Acquisition Team plays a vital role in building Shopify by finding and hiring the best people into the right roles at the right time. We’re a team of highly curious people who delight in learning about and from everyone we meet. Our approach to recruiting is extremely human-centric, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
The thing is, the best people are everywhere, and they often aren’t considering a career move. This is where Talent Sourcers come in. Talent Sourcers are the detectives of Shopify’s Talent Acquisition Team, scouring the internet and meeting people in real life to introduce them to Shopify. Sourcing is more to us than sitting day in and day out on everyone’s favourite business networking site, building pipelines of passive candidates: it’s a valued technical craft that marries a deep desire to understand people and their motivations with the tenacity to find the right people in the best way.
Intrigued? That’s great! We’re looking for Technical Talent Sourcers to join our team, and maybe you’re the person we’re looking for!
Requirements for the role:
- Experience with and dedication to sourcing as a craft. You understand that this is not a bandaid or a quick fix sort of role. You’ve lived the experience, tried out the hacks, and unearthed the candidates no one knew about.
- Curiosity about people and their motivations. You want to know not just what people do, but why they do it.
- Constant prioritization and a sense of urgency. You know how to manage multiple competing priorities, and the expectations of those you work with.
- Technical fluency. You have a deep love for the ways technology makes work better, and are comfortable using different tools to accomplish a goal.
- A love of language. You enjoy wordplay, both written and spoken, and are always looking for ways to better your communication with others.
- Methodical and goal driven approach. You look for ways to break a problem down into smaller parts, work backwards from a desired outcome, and iterate based on what you’ve learned.
- Comfort with autonomy. You know that you don’t have all the answers, but you are pretty sure that you can find them. You enjoy the freedom of self-directed work, and relish the chance to figure things out for yourself.
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- Resourcefulness and creativity when solving problems.
- Strong recall of details and ability to make connections between the current situation and those that have come before.
- Anticipating future outcomes/challenges and building them into your plan (i.e. future proofing), and resilience when roadblocks emerge.
- Deep interest in technology and the communities that emerge around it.
You’ll be working on things like:
- Identifying companies to explore based on industry, financial state, recent acquisitions etc.
- Researching future Shopify employees using LinkedIn, Twitter, Github, Dribbble, Google, and other social media sites.
- Coming up with, and executing on, creative ways to source and engage new candidates.
- Identifying and evaluating new data mining tools to be used to accelerate your work.
- Continually answering the question, “who should we be reaching out to?”.
- Educating your partners on the Talent Acquisition Team on ways to improve their sourcing.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Justè is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in your cover letter - we do love a good story. 👍 📖
This posting will close on December 2, 2019 at 5 pm CET.
Make sure to take a peek at the challenge question below. Here are some resources to help you get started:
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.