We’re looking for an experienced taxonomist to lead the practice at Shopify. This position requires deep understanding of taxonomy and ontology development practices.
About UX at Shopify
The UX team at Shopify is obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. We create tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Our team is made up of over 150 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 5 offices. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow. We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
As a taxonomist at Shopify you:
- Work with various teams to build and refine our classification system from the ground up
- Undertake iterative evaluation of the existing taxonomy based on data, UX, and business priorities
- Develop a scalable taxonomy system that covers the all product areas of Shopify
- Push content strategists and people across the organization to constantly improve the taxonomy
- Develop artifacts, concept models, site maps, user flows, and wireframes that inform the taxonomy
- Have an conceptual and technical understanding of search and tagging systems
- Use qualitative and quantitative research to make informed taxonomy decisions
- Collaborate with designers, developers, researchers, and product managers to improve their understanding of the taxonomy system so they can contribute to it. Advocate for the role taxonomy plays in product design across the company
- Stay on top of technology products and reverse engineer other products’ taxonomy systems to identify opportunities to improve Shopify products
Nice to have:
- Technical understanding of markdown and markup
You should have:
- At least 3 years of taxonomy experience, some of it in a complex platform environment
- Experience working with cross-functional teams including UX designers, researchers, and engineers
- Experience with large scale taxonomies
- Samples of your work to share
- Created, implemented, and maintained a taxonomy library across an organization
- A foundational understanding of user-centered taxonomy techniques and how to apply them
- It’s a bonus if you have experience leading people or projects
What’s in it for you:
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning
- Autonomy—we don’t believe in micro-management
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits such as a gym allowance, parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most
- Being part of a UX team that’s tackling design challenges on a global scale—we’re genuinely committed to making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their experience level
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career
- A culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity
Here's how to apply
If you want to help us shape the future of commerce, select Apply now to submit your application. Please include a few samples of your previous work. Write a cover letter that tells us a bit about yourself and why you’re interested in working at Shopify. Please address it to Amy.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.