About the role
At Shopify, Tech Lead Engineers (also referred to as Staff Engineers) use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a technical leader, you’ll help drive your team’s vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and lead and mentor other engineers. And of course, you’ll be hands-on in the code and contribute technically. Here are just some of the stories from the teams who build and scale Shopify.
Intrigued? We’re recruiting Tech Lead Software Engineers to join teams in either of these disciplines. Based on your experience and interests, let us know which one you identify with most in your application!
Back End Development
Back End Engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking millions of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
Are you looking for an opportunity to work on planet-scale infrastructure? Do you want your work to impact thousands of engineers and millions of customers? Do you genuinely enjoy tackling complex problems, and learning through experimentation? Shopify Production Engineering is all this and more. The Production Engineering team builds and maintains Shopify’s critical infrastructure through software and systems engineering. We make sure Shopify—the world’s fastest growing commerce platform—is able to scale massively while staying resilient for our 2000+ development team to build on and millions of merchants to depend on. Some of the technology that the team uses: Ruby, Rails, Go, Kubernetes, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Docker, Distributed Systems, Google Cloud. Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
What you’ll do as a Tech Lead Software Engineer at Shopify:
- Collaborating with other developers and designers
- Actively seeking out hard problems to solve, and designing technical roadmaps to solve them
- Identifying and pursuing impactful projects driven by product direction, merchant need, and appropriate technological trends
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our codebase in meaningful ways
- Bringing context and learnings back to a team from other projects and mentoring junior developers through technically challenging decisions
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Contributing back to the open-source community
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
- An understanding of the long-term impacts of complex technical decisions
- The ability to constantly raise the bar for product development and how teams work
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages — Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python — is an asset, but not required. Don’t have experience with many of them? No problem — deep experience with any object-oriented language and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way. (Also: Check out our StackShare)
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.