Technical Content Strategist
We’re looking for a content strategist to provide technical expertise to help Shopify implement content standard recommendations across our code base. This position requires strong systems thinking, writing skills, and the technical knowledge to get things done. This role is part of the UX design team. It isn’t a marketing or tech documentation writing role.
About UX design at Shopify
The UX design team at Shopify is obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. We create tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we offer opportunities for developers to contribute their own products to our app ecosystem. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is our passion. It’s what we come to work every morning excited to tackle.
Our team is made up of over 150+ designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 5 offices. Although everyone who works at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
For this role, you will have strong content skills so you can:
- Work with the content strategy team to make recommendations about new product-focused content standards
- Audit Shopify interfaces to identify standards that need to be created, reviewed, and rethought
- Validate and articulate your content standards recommendations
- Think through the language in our interface from a system-perspective and understand how content decisions are applied across a range of scenarios and use cases
- Write clear, concise content that makes our product interfaces easier to use
- Collaborate with designers, developers, researchers, and product managers to apply content standards across our product
- Brainstorm, plan, and contribute to the evolution of our content standards, and continuously improve what we have today
- Use qualitative and quantitative research to make informed decisions
- Advocate for the role content standards play in product design across the company
Have the technical ability to:
- Be comfortable working in Git and in Terminal/Command Line
- Write great content and get into the code to implement your recommendations—this means being able to use a code editor, make changes, and submit a pull request
- Teach people in non-technical roles how to improve their own technical confidence and skills by contributing to training, learning resources, and other support opportunities
You should have:
- At least 3 years of dedicated content experience, preferably in a product-focused environment
- Experience developing standards that are applied across a complex product
- Experience working with cross-functional teams including UX designers, researchers, and engineers
- Worked in a content role where you've had to write and structure language to respond to audience needs
- Examples of work you've done. It's a bonus if you have examples that show interface content or microcopy
- Contributed to developing and implementing content standards across an organization.
- A foundational understanding of user-centered design techniques and how to apply them
What’s in it for you
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits such as a gym allowance, parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most
- Being part of a UX team that’s tackling design challenges on a global scale—we’re genuinely committed to making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their experience level
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career
- A culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity
Here's how to apply:
If you want to help us shape the future of commerce, select Apply now to submit your application.
Please include a few samples of your previous work. If you really want to stand out, sign up for a free trial of Shopify and build a store. Share the link with us so we can take a look. Write a cover letter that tells us a bit about yourself and why you’re interested in working at Shopify. Please address it to Amy. If you have an online portfolio, feel free to link to it.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.