About the role
As of today, Shopify has millions of merchants in 175+ countries using our software to set up and run their businesses across multiple sales channels, including: web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. We are looking for an experienced Technical Localization Program Manager to assist us in building a world-class platform for translation, localization, and other content pipelines for interdepartmental stakeholders at Shopify, with a particular focus on our European markets.
You will be a critical member of a team dedicated to content localization and multilingual copywriting with a particular focus on growth. You will help drive the development of a technology stack to support large but scalable throughput and be expected to identify and prioritize opportunities to enable an engaging and locally targeted experience across 20+ languages for our global merchants and customers. You will define technical requirements and deliverables, schedule and track deployment progress, manage a linguistic technology ecosystem, coordinate with internal stakeholders, and define a systems reporting framework. Success in this role is based on your ability to optimize throughput with tooling and automation, enabling content performance and quality tracking, clearly communicating progress to stakeholders, helping the team grow increasingly more efficient, and keeping the big picture in focus. You should have a passion for localization technology and content management solutions, be adaptable and resilient to change, eager to grapple with challenging and sometimes seemingly insurmountable technical problems.
- Support the localization technology roadmap with new and innovative solutions that leverage different multilingual content development approaches, including traditional translation, localization, transcreation, copywriting, localization quality assurance, and machine translation.
- Partner with the Growth Organization R&D team to communicate technology program requirements, scope, constraints, dependencies, resources, and risks, while ensuring projects are well-defined, prioritized, and successfully executed.
- Provide key stakeholders and teams around the organization with full visibility of the program schedules, critical paths, project status, and potential roadblocks.
- Identify opportunities to optimize localization and content pipeline tooling and mitigate inefficiencies.
- Support the tech stack data and reporting efforts and help define key success metrics that measure the value and success of multilingual content pipelines.
- Advise and advocate localization and internationalization best practices, requirements, and methodologies.
- Engage with cross-functional teams and users of the localization tools and pipelines to ensure successful adoption of technical solutions.
- Collaborate with engineering teams and localization technology partners on enhancing, updating and expanding the configuration, connectivity and high availability of automated translation pipelines.
- Demonstrated experience as a technical program manager, localization solutions architect, or equivalent responsibilities in the localization space.
- Hands-on experience with project management in GitHub.
- Experience working with multiple TMS (translation management systems), CMS (content management systems) and other localization tools.
- Readily able to communicate technical information to non-experts.
- Successful track record for choosing and successfully deploying best in class technology with particular attention to scalability, automation, sustainable integrations and systems reporting.
- Able to drive and manage multiple projects under constrained timelines and shifting priorities.
- Proven experience working effectively (communication and execution) with teams across multiple locations and time zones.
- A deep understanding of localization and content management tools, industry standards, systems, and integrations, including cutting edge technology developments and trends in this space.
- Creative, solution-oriented, hardworking, and analytical mindset.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong analytical skills, a data-driven approach to problem solving, and an experimental mindset.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills and the ability to work within ambiguity with little guidance.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and able to manage multiple and shifting priorities well. Comfortable with a hyper-active Slack environment. You don’t get distracted easily, even in a noisy (metaphorically speaking) environment.
- Knowledge of internationalization and localization in the context of software development, SEO and content management.
- Technical understanding of, and some hands-on experience building, RESTful APIs and microservices.
- Knowledge of SQL, Python, web app and website architecture.
- Entrepreneurial mind; if you’ve started a business of your own before that would be great!
- Experience working effectively within a multilingual, globally distributed team.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
Not what you’re looking for?Check out these similar roles.
|Sr. Marketing Design Lead (Remote, EMEA)||Marketing and Growth||EMEA|
|Head of Communications, Southern Europe ( Remote, EMEA)||Marketing and Growth||EMEA|
|PR Manager, German speaking (Remote, Germany)||Marketing and Growth||EMEA|
|Influencer Partnerships Marketer (Remote, EMEA)||Marketing and Growth||EMEA|