Technical Product Lead, Build
- Product Management
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. We propel entrepreneurs and enterprises to scale the heights of their potential. Since 2006, we’ve grown to 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Our developer platform team builds the systems that developers use to build Apps, Themes, and Custom Storefronts such as the Shopify CLI and developer dashboard.This team also builds extensibility mechanisms such as App Bridge, Admin extensions, and Shopify Functions that allow developers to build tightly integrated merchant experiences. This is the team that is responsible for taking many aspects of Shopify and crafting it into a clear, opinionated developer experience for the best way to build applications on top of our platform to help our merchants grow.
We are looking for experienced Technical Product Lead who can take a lot of complexity and distill it into experiences that developers love - an experience that makes Shopify the best platform to build commerce applications.
What you will do:
- Define and guide the roadmap and long term product strategy for a set of products within our developer platform.
- Collaborate with Developers, Designers, Data Scientists, Marketers, and customers. You will be a team player, coach, and referee all-in-one.
- Be a well-rounded Technical Product Manager who understands the technical details relevant to the product experience and are also able to provide product design/UX sense.
- Speak with Developers on a daily basis to translate their needs and problems into product requirements.
- Communicate with stakeholders from multiple disciplines.
- Work with product marketing and developer evangelists to drive adoption of your products.
What you need to apply / Qualifications
- A combination of technical product management or product lead and developer experience with software, developer tools or platforms, web apps, or SaaS products.
- Experience defining the technical roadmap and strategy for creating best in class experiences for developers and app configuration.
- Exposure and interest in modern web development concepts.
- Experience building or managing products that have APIs that act as a key interface.
- Experience using Git and GitHub in app development and product management.
- Great communication skills and sound technical knowledge to drive developer experience with engineering and data science teams.
- An entrepreneurial mindset - you must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in ambiguity, and getting the work done.
- Ability to define and prioritize initiatives while working cross-functionally, and managing complex stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to travel on occassion for team meetings
It would be nice if you have:
- Experience working with App UI toolkits, frameworks on mature platforms.
- Experience building and maturing platforms and infrastructure
- Experience with APIs, SDKs, and/or building for developers or developer platforms
- Computer Science or other technical post-secondary education
- Experience building and shipping products in the ecommerce space
- Founder or tech start-up experience
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering