About the role
We’re looking for a Technical Program Manager to join Shopify Production Engineering. This person will be the first TPM on our team and will help us shape the future of Production Engineering, as well as guide our next TPM hires.
Our team builds and maintains Shopify’s critical infrastructure through software and systems engineering. We make sure Shopify—the world’s fastest growing commerce platform—stays reliable, performant, and scalable for our 1000+ member development team to build on, and our 800,000+ merchants to depend on.
You’ll help us develop, build and deliver a faster and more resilient Shopify through internal products. You’ll be working in a collaborative environment with highly technical individuals and teams, with a focus on our external vendors. This means getting deep into engineering; vendor, product and program management.
A Day in the Life of a Shopify TPM
- Developing a deep understanding of our team's technical capacity and goals.
- Managing relationships with our external vendors; vendor management will be a key component of this role, especially in the first year.
- Navigating projects between Production Engineering and our external partners, which requires building high-trust relationships on both sides.
- Ensuring projects are not developed or delivered in isolation from each other, but rather as complementary projects with clear scopes that contribute to the larger goals of Production Engineering.
You'll need to have:
- Experience owning and managing relationships with external vendors;
- Experience partnering with highly technical teams and individuals;
- Passion for building roadmaps and driving a team towards a goal;
- Communication skills: you can see the 10,000-foot view and communicate it to others;
- A working understanding of how to build scalable and reliable systems;
- A background in software development or a Computer Science/Software Engineering education.
It'd be great if you have:
- Experience with a variety of technologies, including: Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, or other PaaS technologies. (Note: if some of this tech is new to you, that's okay! We realize that not everyone has worked with this stack before and provide opportunities for learning as you go.)
Our teams are distributed in-office in Canada 🇨🇦(Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Waterloo), and we have a great Mobility team that tailors individual relocation and immigration packages to best support your move. ✈️
If you got excited reading this, you should apply! Please address your cover letter to King and let him know why you're excited about our team.
Closing date: July 25th at 3pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Developers and Managers - Shipping Services||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer - Vault Tools||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Toronto, Canada|
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Observability Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Android Developer - Core Mobile||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Developer, Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer (Shopify Web)||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Database Engineer - Datastores||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Senior Technical Security Analyst||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineer - Storefront Rendering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Technical Program Manager - Dev Degree||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto, Remote|
|Senior Web Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Security Developer, Shopify App Platform||Engineering and Development||Toronto, Canada|
|Production Engineer - Sr Kafka Engineer||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Montreal|
|VP Engineering, Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|