About the role
Shopify Plus is making enterprise commerce simple. We give high growth, high volume merchants the scalability, reliability and flexibility they need. Shopify Plus is helping power commerce for companies like Nine West, MVMT, Nestle and many more. We believe large merchants should love their commerce platform and we work hard each day to make that happen. We are in hyper-growth, and this is where you come in. The Shopify Plus Engineering team develops, deploys and maintains an ever-growing list of applications and systems that make up the Shopify Plus product set. We need a Technical Program Manager to provide end-to-end leadership and guidance to our most complex projects and programs.
In this role, you’ll be working closely with stakeholders, engineers, product managers, data scientists, security, vendors, other technical program managers and different teams across Shopify to manage projects from concept through to delivery. You’ll be managing cross-team projects that contribute to the ever-growing Shopify Plus product set. You’ll need to take your knowledge of best practices and tailor them to our culture.
This will require oversight and understanding of the various ongoing projects and requests. You will help drive projects forward, manage priority with Shopify Plus engineering leadership and partner teams within RnD, and keep all stakeholders updated. You should have experience setting up and running multiple projects simultaneously, running effective stand-ups, and be very familiar with a modern SDLC and PDLC. You must have a demonstrated ability to deliver results and drive high-quality technical products.
You’ll have a great opportunity to shape the future of the Shopify Plus Engineering Program Management team.
You will be responsible for:
- Managing a portfolio of projects and building project management best practices across the team.
- Building clear project and product priorities with a corresponding roadmap and strategy based on product objectives.
- Gathering requirements, writing specifications and ensuring deliverables meet high quality standards.
- Owning your program backlog(s), creating user stories, running scrums, and managing multiple work streams.
- Developing and managing comprehensive project/program strategies and plans, and driving execution relying on influence.
- Identifying, tracking, resolving and mitigating risks to ensure successful delivery.
- Holding the team and stakeholders accountable to deadlines and commitments.
- Improving our time to ship and reducing delays.
- Capturing and providing progress of project plans, status, and issues to project teams, stakeholders and the leadership team.
- Creating, reviewing and maintaining program documentation, as needed.
- Creating an environment where everyone on the team has the opportunity to be creative and influence decisions.
How to succeed in this role:
- Be technical and hands-on — you will build technical systems/products.
- You are a scrappy, resourceful, self-starter that is at their best when working with a team of talented Shopifolk.
- You spec like a developer, design for empathy, and communicate well with everyone.
- You know how to ship new products, but also how to iterate and deliver small, medium and large improvements.
- Build close relationships across Shopify Plus Engineering and other engineering teams company-wide
- Be an influencer within your team, and all other stakeholders.
- Be able to show and express empathy.
- Be a problem solver. Evaluate the impact and scope of changes and determine the impact to delivery dates and assess options.
- Be curious; ask questions to adequately understand needs, assess impact, anticipate potential roadblocks, and mitigate risk.
- Be independent thinker with ability to navigate ambiguity and deliver quality results
- Be a constant learner.
Requirements for the role:
- Degree in Software Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Well versed in agile development principles, running scrums, experience creating user stories, building burn-downs, and tracking velocity.
- 5+ years of Program or Product Management experience leading cross-functional programs.
- 5+ years of experience delivering programs of a technical nature.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. The team is looking forward to reading your application. This posting will close on Friday, April 3 at 3PM EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities
|Senior UX Developer||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Cloud Network Engineering Specialist, Network Foundations||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Mobile Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Waterloo, New York, San Francisco, Berlin, Stockholm, Vilnius, Singapore, Remote|
|Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Software Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Waterloo, New York, San Francisco, Berlin, Stockholm, Vilnius, Singapore, Remote|
|Staff Developer||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|UX Developer||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|