About the role
We’re looking for creative, passionate individuals to develop and maintain self-help content that serves a growing community of Shopify merchants, partners, and developers.
Our technical writers love language and ideas, they think information architecture is the coolest thing since the printing press, and they’re totally committed customer advocates. They build relationships all over the company, continuously learn new things, and they channel that knowledge into self-help materials that merchants, partners, and app developers can use effortlessly.
You'll be working on:
- Helping to define and implement content strategy for the team.
- Contributing to decisions that have an impact at various levels inside and outside of Shopify.
- Writing clear, user-centred content for new and updated features, that's based on feedback, UX research, support data, SME and editorial reviews, and hands-on testing.
- Building relationships across Shopify's R&D, UX, marketing, and support teams.
- Crushing documentation bugs, correcting errors, and improving problematic content, all with reference to our documentation style guide.
- Participating fully in the life of the team, taking part in discussions, debates, and meetings.
- Mentoring team members at various skill levels.
- Championing projects that have a high degree of complexity with many stakeholders throughout Shopify.
- Learning a ton of new skills and sharing your own.
To succeed in this role you'll need:
- To be a highly experienced technical writer and an expert in your craft
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Well-versed in building and managing a network of subject matter experts.
- Strong writing skills based on past experience in a writing or editorial role.
- Experience in leading projects.
- A commitment to understanding our audiences’ needs informed by empathy (helping merchants accomplish their goals and build their businesses is our main objective).
- A deep interest in the different ways that people discover and process information.
- High standards, an obsessive eye for detail, and a strong sense of ownership.
- A track record of delivering documentation in a fast-paced environment where requirements and scope can change quickly.
It's a bonus if you have:
- Familiarity with DITA and structured authoring principles.
- Worked with version control software such as Git.
- Experience working with translated content or internationalization.
If you’d love to join us in our quest to make our merchants’ lives easier and to help their businesses grow, then we want to hear from you. Send us your resume and a cover letter, as well as one or two samples of your written work. Please address your cover letter to Jason Christie.
Posting Closing Date: August 23rd at 4pm EST