The online presence of a merchant’s business starts with their website. At Shopify, we understand how a great theme can affect the livelihood of our merchants. Whether it’s helping one of our 500,000 merchants, or being a resource for the developers and designers who make themes, a Shopify Theme Specialist is here to create and cultivate beautiful eCommerce for everyone.
As a Theme Specialist you will be a part of a multi-disciplinary team that focuses on many aspects related to Shopify themes. We are looking for individuals who can use their communication and technical skills to support our merchants, maintain the themes we create, and curate third-party themes submitted to our theme store. Our team adapts to anything that is thrown their way, and we are constantly collaborating to solve issues that affect themes.
This is an entirely remote position, so you will be working from home. You will need a DSL or Cable internet connection. Non standard (8am-4pm) hours. Occasional weekend work may also be required.
Currently accepting applications for 2018.
You'll need to:
- Be based in Ireland, or willing to relocate and be eligible to work from the Emerald Isle.
- Have a passion for Web design and development.
- Know HTML5 and CSS3 like the back of your hand.
- Have proficient knowledge of a popular programming language.
- Have experience with modern frameworks, themes and web technologies (e.g.: Wordpress, Drupal, Bootstrap)
- Using Chrome Developer Tools to investigate and troubleshoot issues with browsers and front-end code.
- Communicate effectively, regardless of your audience - in addition to connecting directly with our merchants, Theme Support acts as a liaison with many other teams to resolve issues, so communication of technical subject matter as needed and on the fly, is a huge asset.
- Be driven to be the best at what you do - but also enjoy being challenged by, and constantly learning from, the other members on a high-performing team.
- Have customer service experience. This could be anything from working with clients on large scale design projects, or a retail job at Dunnes Stores.
It'd be great if you have:
- Experience educating, scaling, or collaborating on new techniques, technologies, and processes within a company or community.
- Familiarity with the Liquid templating language.
- Experience using CSS preprocessors (e.g.: SCSS, LESS) and/or build tools (e.g.: Grunt, Gulp)
- Having working knowledge of Version control - Github/Git, ideally.
You’ll be working on things like:
- Learning the latest front end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best techniques possible.
- Helping merchants customise their websites along with giving them first class advice when required.
- Working with the sustaining themes team on GitHub to fix and update our themes, as well as communicating merchant needs to help make more informed theme feature adjustments.
- Reviewing themes that have been submitted to the Shopify Theme Store
- Develop ways to better equip our support teams for any theme related questions as Theme Support works closely with other Support teams in a variety of situations, from guidance to code pairing.
- Improve documentation to reduce theme related support debt.
Here's how to apply:
Working at Shopify is unique, and we’d like our application process to reflect that! If you want to be the next Shopify Theme Specialist, complete one of the following two tasks and include it with your application. You should also address your application to Kota.
1. Create a Shopify development store and install one of our free themes. Modify that free theme to do something the theme doesn’t normally do (e.g.: Show a picture when certain options are selected, change the layout of the product page).
2.Create a one-page, responsive, website that sells yourself and your skills to Shopify. This is the perfect opportunity to show off your technical skills in whatever way you choose, so make sure to include examples of your HTML/CSS/jQuery abilities.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Support jobs are posted.