Tier 3 Support
Anywhere in Canada or Ireland
The Support team at Shopify supports shop owners around the clock on the telephone and through email and chat. On Tier 3 Escalated Technical Support, you’re the last line of defence in Support. The most difficult, complex issues are no match for your skills. You will own the issue until it is resolved, even if it takes days, weeks, or months.
A perfect match for this role is someone who possesses great troubleshooting and analytical skills, has prior experience troubleshooting or building Ruby on Rails-based applications, and nurtures a curious mind for how things work and what makes them tick. Our Tier 3 members are masters of the product-- they know it from top to bottom and inside out-- and they are regularly in the Shopify codebase solving obscure mysteries and fixing bugs.
You'll need to:
- Communicate effectively, regardless of your audience - in addition to connecting directly with our merchants, Tier 3 liaises with many other teams to resolve issues, so being able to empathize with others’ communication styles and technical knowledge as needed, on the fly, is a huge asset.
- Enjoy interacting, teaching, and collaborating with others. Tier 3 works closely with other Support teams in a variety of situations, from guidance to code pairing, and its members often become mentors and subject matter experts within Support.
- Have a thirst for learning and information acquisition - Shopify moves at an incredible pace, and Tier 3 needs to stay on top of an ever-growing body of platform knowledge. You’ll be challenged to expand your knowledge and expertise on a daily basis!
- Be driven to be the best at what you do - but also enjoy being challenged by, and constantly learning from, the other members on a high-performing team.
- Have a love for problem-solving, troubleshooting, and tough puzzles - complex problems are Tier 3’s bread-and-butter! It can take hours, days, and sometimes weeks to get to the bottom of a real head-scratcher. You’ll need to be comfortable with patiently following through on these issues right to their end.
- Possess an observant eye for details, whether it’s with code, spelling, or something else entirely. Prove it to us - address your cover letter to Ms. Ruby. Tier 3 pores over logs, database entries, and code on a regular basis, and it’s often the smallest things which can make or break an investigation.
- Day to day, Tier 3 juggles both internal conversations with the other Support teams, as well as direct merchant interactions to help resolve individual questions; having a history of positive customer-facing service experience will be essential to your success in the role, so we want to hear all about your freelance work with business clients, working in retail, etc.
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails (can be personal or work-related). Shopify is one of the largest Rails-based apps in production, so being able to hit the ground running with code troubleshooting will be extremely valuable.
It’d be great if you had:
- SQL/SQL-based databases (for work or for fun) - Tier 3 queries data regularly using SQL as part of the troubleshooting process.
- Troubleshooting and back-end investigations for a SaaS-based or web-based product.
- Using Chrome Developer Tools to investigate and troubleshoot issues with browsers and front-end website code.
- Version control (Github/Git, ideally); Shopify is updated many times per day, so watching these versions and deploys enables Technical Support to keep on top of things.
- Front-end development experience (HTML, CSS, etc.)
- RESTful APIs and reading/parsing JSON/XML - these are very helpful when testing and troubleshooting an issue with our API
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application, and be sure to share a link to your current Shopify test store. Tier 3 Support members are always in the admin and other aspects of the product, so coming in with some basic experience with building and maintaining a store on Shopify will be a major asset.
Note: all applications must be submitted in full, on or before, June 25th, 2017.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is thisclose to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Support jobs are posted.