About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services online and off. With 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, and the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
Like the Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN), we’re early in our mission to democratize fulfillment, and we take it very seriously. We can’t carry out this mission without putting our merchants’ needs first, and with a recent growth spurt, we think now is the perfect time to add an experienced Transportation Network Planner to the team.
Yes, you read that right - in this time of Covid-19, Shopify is still hiring. We're definitely open for business, and we're fighting hard to keep hundreds of thousands of other businesses open as well. If that sounds like something you could get behind, keep reading.
The team that you’d be joining is working at the forefront of an incredibly exciting and complex Shopify product. These are the folks who plan the future capabilities of SFN, especially inventory allocation/placement, warehousing capacity, network design and optimal transportation network to increase speed of delivery and drive down cost.
The focus right now is on optimizing our inbound and outbound transportation network. We are a high growth business with multiple warehouses in two countries serving a market opportunity of 1M+ merchants in over 175 countries. NOW is the chance to get in on the ground floor and help us design the network and transportation strategy for scale. We need someone with strong analytical skills and an inbound/outbound transportation background to help us design the future of the network. Please come work with us if you love big open-ended problems, a focus on strategy and long term planning, and working with LOTS of data!
To give you a sense of what you’ll be working on, here’s a peek of some of our key priorities:
- Network Planning:. As we grow at a fast rate, how and where should our warehouse locations be to optimize for transportation costs?
- Transportation Network Optimization: Given the high growth over 5 years, what is the transportation network we need to serve different volume profiles over time? What transportation unit economics should we expect for inbound and outbound volume?
OK, here’s what you’re going to have to have to be seriously considered for this role:
- Data and analytical skills: deep Excel modeling skills required, SQL a plus
- Network planning tool skills: Llamasoft, TMS, et al
- A strong background in transportation and/or transportation strategy focused on build out multi nodal warehouse networks in multiple countries leveraging multiple modes of transport (FTL/LTL, last mile, parcel, ocean/air freight, etc)
If you feel excited after reading this, then address your cover letter to Greg and click "Apply Now". We're looking forward to hearing from you!
This posting will close Friday, September 25 at noon ET.
You can expect to hear back from us (regardless of outcome) within 2-3 weeks from when you applied.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community today by visiting www.talent-community.myshopify.com