UI Motion Designer
The Patterns team at Shopify is looking for a UI Motion Designer to establish motion principles and a motion language for the Polaris design system.
The mission of our team is to support Shopify’s staff and partners in building the best UI possible for our merchants. You will be trusted to explore how motion can foundationally change and improve the way merchants experience Shopify across multiple platforms.
We are a friendly, collaborative group and we leave our egos at the door — we care about the right solution above everything else.
Shopify currently powers over 400,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries. Thousands of users will see your work everyday – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
About UX at Shopify:
The UX team at Shopify is obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. We create tools that give everyone the chance to succeed as an entrepreneur. We help developers contribute their own products to our app ecosystem. We make commerce better for everyone.
Our team is made up of over 150+ designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 5 offices. The UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
- Working closely with our Illustration Lead, Meg Robichaud, and our Senior Design Lead, Jesse Bennett-Chamberlain
- Defining the motion language and motion principles for Shopify's products and Polaris design system
- Collaborating with UX designers and developers to create performant interactions
- Collaborating with illustrators to design and build animated illustrations
- Teaching and evangelizing great motion design practices across our UX team
You'll need to have:
- Strong knowledge of the principles of animation (timing, spacing, physical motion, etc)
- Fluency in the Android and iOS design languages as well as an understanding of the capabilities and limitations of each
- Ability to prototype complex interaction flows using industry standard software or HTML/CSS
- Experience in or knowledge of HTML/CSS, responsive design principles, and standard UX web practices
- Ability to articulate, receive and provide written and verbal feedback
- Experience collaborating with multiple disciplines and managing stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build good working relationships
It would be nice if you have:
- Experience in a related field (product design; marketing campaigns; brand design; motion graphics)
- Professional digital illustration experience
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the Apply now button to submit your application. Send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
We'll be reviewing applications and getting back to all applicants by May 31, 2017.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.