About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down. UX Developers are an integral part of our UX team and bridge the gap between UX and Engineering. They are responsible for building and maintaining exceptional user experiences for over a million merchants – and their customers – worldwide. Along with creating the thoughtful interfaces our users have come to expect, our UX Developers help shape our design language and contribute to our shared component libraries in a maintainable and scalable way within Shopify’s technical architecture.
We’re looking for people to join the team who are excited about building human-centred experiences. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your whole self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
You'll be working with...
As a UX Developer, you'll be working with one of the following teams:
Start - We’re powering up the path to entrepreneurship. We help merchants big and small get started on their journey with Shopify.
Data Science and Engineering - Data is at the heart of great decisions. We build tools to allow Shopify, its merchants, and its partners to use data to improve their decision making when and where they need it most.
Store Management - Store Management is what merchants login to -- it's the interface of their business(es). It’s also where merchants spend most of their time. Merchants go there to set up their store(s), manage their products, pricing, collections, inventory, orders, and fulfillment, and make decisions based on reports, insights, and recommendations. We strive to be the heart and brain of businesses small to large.
Relevant experience for the role:
- Experience in building user interfaces that are interactive, inclusive, performant, and reusable
- Knowledge about modern CSS language features, including Flexbox, CSS Grid, feature queries
- An understanding of HTML semantics and ARIA roles, and knowing their correct application
- Experience in building modular, reusable, flexible components and accessible interfaces
- Working in a cross-discipline environment with designers and other developers to prototype early concepts to vet ideas
- Collaborating on new technologies and processes within a company or community
- Awareness of web accessibility and empathy for building products for people with different abilities and needs
- Learn the latest front end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best techniques possible
- Collaborate with Product Designers, Product Content Strategists, and UX Researchers
- Be an advocate throughout the company for great UX
- Learn through peer mentorship and collaboration
- Managing an open source library
- Experience in a UX development role on a commerce site, or a marketing site promoting a product or service
- Experience with product design systems
- Experience with Typescript
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application!
Learn more about our UX team on the Shopify UX blog.
Closing date: Monday, April 13th at 9am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Infrastructure Security Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior UX Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Cloud Network Engineering Specialist, Network Foundations||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal|
|Mobile Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Waterloo, New York, San Francisco, Berlin, Stockholm, Vilnius, Singapore, Remote|
|Software Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Waterloo, New York, San Francisco, Berlin, Stockholm, Vilnius, Singapore, Remote|