About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce by raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services. To help power 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, Shopify is always growing and finding new ways to create more value for commerce businesses around the world.
Early on, Shopify made the decision to build a platform that partners can build apps and services on to help merchants meet their unique needs. The most successful merchants work with partners to maximize their ability to succeed on their path. In this role you’ll work with a multi-disciplinary team that builds the programs, services, and tools that help merchants succeed with the help of partners.
As the UX Manager of Shopify's Partner Ecosystem team, you will help merchants start and build their businesses by connecting them with partners, apps, and services. You will work on products that empower our partners to push the boundaries of commerce. We’re looking for a user experience leader capable of building opinions using research insights, data, and experience and building iteratively toward our mission. Someone who is comfortable defining goals, direction and strategy, but also comfortable getting into the weeds and working hands on with their teams. At Shopify, leaders sketch too. They thrive on change and operate on trust, leveraging the diverse perspectives of the people on their team in everything they do. We’re fascinated by how you think, how you break down problems, and how you come up with solutions. We look for those who question, who are optimistic but never satisfied, and always seek to do better and make better.
- Managing a small cross-disciplinary UX team where you’ll be responsible for stewarding the user experience quality and vision
- Building rituals and resources to sustainably scale the UX team
- Collaborating with product, engineering and data science to deliver the best products that help new and aspiring partners and merchants succeed
- Working closely with our marketing, brand, and international teams to ensure we’re telling a consistent and accurate story about the opportunity for Shopify partners both before and after people sign up to our Partner Program
- Working as a strategic partner with leadership in Engineering and Product Management to define the overall strategy and direction for your team
- Balancing the urgency we feel to ship value to our partners while maintaining our high UX quality standards
- Ensuring the UX decisions of your immediate team compliment the business needs and outcomes of Shopify and the Ecosystem team as a whole
- Working with research and data to understand the problem, test assumptions, and use analytics and user feedback to gain empirical evidence to inform your work
- Advocating for good user experience across our ecosystem by representing our partners in product strategy and roadmap discussions.
Requirements for the role:
- Deep experience leading teams in a multidisciplinary UX environment that have shipped simple, well designed and rationalized products to solve complex customer needs. You should be able to speak to the business impact of your previous work
- Expert knowledge of the end-to-end iterative product design process, including how to develop and use personas, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes across a design, content strategy, and research while working with cross-functional teams including development, and product management
- A proven track record of management and mentorship that points to your ability to help people grow and succeed in their careers
- Capacity to act on immediate needs while building for the long term with vision and strategy
- A proven track record of using research and data to make decisions quickly and can think strategically about how to roll experiences out as smaller pieces to validate assumptions
- Experience working with marketing and brand teams and opinions about how to connect the user experience in our landing pages to onboarding and other experiences in the product
- Comfort balancing out team mentoring, hands-on UX work, and providing input for product decisions.
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
- A deep empathy for the user and a desire to learn as much as possible about how they use Shopify on every platform
If you want to help Shopify shape the future of commerce, hit the “Apply now” button to submit your application. We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application.
Please answer the following questions either in your letter, or as a separate attachment:
- Tell us about a time when a team you were on wanted to test something that you didn’t think was a good user experience? What did you do? How did you make your decision? What was the outcome?
- Bonus: How do you know when something isn’t a good user experience?
This posting will close at 9am EDT on Monday, June 1, 2020
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Staff Product Designer, Shop Pay||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Product Designer, Ecosystem||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Product Designer||UX and Design||Americas|
|UX Director, Online Store Tools||UX and Design||Americas|
|Marketing Designer||UX and Design||Americas|
|UX Marketing Manager||UX and Design||Americas|
|Staff UX Researcher, Ecosystem||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Marketing Content Strategist||UX and Design||Americas|
|Senior Design Manager, Shop||UX and Design||Americas|
|Marketing Design Manager||UX and Design||Americas|