About the role
Shopify is an e-commerce platform with the mission to make commerce better for everyone. Shopify powers over 800,000 merchants around the world, and we’re just getting started. The International team is a segment within Shopify, with the mission to make commerce better for everyone... everywhere!
Making Shopify better for merchants around the world brings deeply interesting UX challenges across language, behaviours, currency & trade, and ultimately, culture. We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly and collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
About the role:
As a UX Manager on the Singapore International team, you will have a special role in understanding and building empathy for merchants in specific corners of the world. You will be responsible for crafting a user experience within our product that will scale internationally, across different cultures, and local needs. This is an opportunity to learn about users specifically in the Asia Pacific region, and bring their perspective and needs to Shopify's entire UX team. You will work with a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and front-end developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
Requirements for the role:
- You’ve designed and shipped product experiences for international audiences, with a focus on Asia Pacific countries.
- You’ve led a team in a multidisciplinary UX environment. Ours includes research, design, front-end development, and content strategy.
- You love solving complex product problems with simple design solutions.
- You’re passionate about building tailored experiences across a diverse set of languages and cultures.
- You like to collaborate with product management and engineering to balance the right decisions for the product with the right decisions for the users.
- You provide teams with long term vision and strategy but don’t mind doing the work yourself when the situation calls for it.
- Bureaucracy is your nemesis.
- You have played a direct role in UX community-building and thought leadership, both inside your organization and beyond.
Projects you could work on:
- Ensuring our platform considers the full range of international merchant needs across language, culture, and local commerce behaviours. While we may share the platform, merchant needs vary greatly around the world.
- Building new products around international requirements, to serve merchants in new ways on the Shopify platform. We know that language, payments, and shipping products function fundamentally differently around the world, and we need you to help us consider the breadth and depth of these challenges and provide simple, scalable solutions.
- Working with other teams at Shopify to build a deep understanding and consideration of merchant needs around the world.
- Evolving the look and feel of Shopify to be relevant in priority markets as we scale; with the discipline to think locally and act globally.
- Shaping how our product teams, including UX, engineering and product management collaborate to produce a world-class offering. The International team is still in the fundamental building stage as a product team, and we’re building to the needs of our merchants while hardening our institutional knowledge.
- Relationship building with UX leadership across Shopify. While we have the freedom to define our own processes, it’s essential to be a partner, advocate and challenger at the leadership table to best support the needs of the international merchants.
- Providing technical and strategic UX direction on your project. You’ll work with your project team members to help them understand what they’re building towards and why.
- Developing and shipping with speed and consistency. We have immediate needs to deliver on our product roadmap today, while setting the vision for tomorrow.
How to apply
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, Dribble, Behance, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jennifer is looking forward to reading your application.
|Senior UX Researcher, International Growth||UX and Design||Singapore|