About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down. To continue to grow at an incredible rate, we need a strong UX leader to bring our Start product line to the next level.
We believe that online retail is one of the most defining avenues for entrepreneurs to reach independence, but almost everything about the internet favours already-large existing companies. Every day thousands of new hopeful entrepreneurs sign up for Shopify without much business experience. The Start product line exists to supercharge aspiring entrepreneurs' abilities to become successful with the best guidance, network, and motivation possible. We'll help our existing 1,000,000 global merchants and also support new ones as we rapidly grow.
Entrepreneurship is a hard but rewarding experience. We want to create more entrepreneurs and make it easier than ever to start a business. Come join us to do your life's best work!
As part of the Start product line, the Launch team looks at how merchants create their business on Shopify. As the UX Manager, you’ll have a special role in building empathy for our aspiring entrepreneurs around the world. You will lead a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, and researchers, and will work together with Product and Engineering to deliver the best products to our merchants. You will solve interesting problems in on-boarding and re-platforming and ultimately help drive Shopify's growth.
Learn more about the Shopify UX team here:
- Manage a small cross-disciplinary UX team where you’ll be responsible for stewarding the user experience quality and vision
- Scale the UX team sustainably with the right amount of mentorship, new people, better processes, and diverse thinking
- Present ideas early and often to stakeholders across Shopify to ensure a world-class user experience for early stage entrepreneurs
- Collaborate with product, engineering and data science to deliver the best products to help new and aspiring entrepreneurs succeed
- Create thorough designs through collaborative decision-making with front-end developers, engineers, researchers, content strategists, and other disciplines
- Work with research and data teams to test concepts and rapidly iterate through prototypes
- Represent early stage entrepreneurs in product strategy and roadmap discussions
- You’ve led a team in a multidisciplinary UX environment
- You love solving complex product problems with simple design solutions
- You like to collaborate with product management and engineering to balance the right decisions for the product with the right decisions for the user
- You provide teams with long term vision and strategy but also enjoy doing work yourself
- You’ve had experience thriving on change and managing stakeholders
- You have a track record of leveraging data to inform decisions
- You have a portfolio of previous work that demonstrates a thoughtful, user-centered approach to product development
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
This posting will close on Friday, January 31th at 12pm.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.