UX Research Lead
Making commerce better for everyone has been Shopify’s focus since our founders started a snowboard business online. Realizing that selling online was complex and very technical, they set out to simplify the experience. Since then, Shopify has been improving the way that people start, run, and grow businesses. The work you do will impact more than 300,000 entrepreneurs all over the world, their community of customers, and many 3rd party partners.
About the UX Research team
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
In addition to informing product, UX, and marketing decisions throughout projects, we also work on broader internal initiatives to cultivate empathy throughout Shopify (e.g. accessibility demos, employee field trips to Shopify stores, merchant Q&A panels).
You’ll be working on:
- Coaching and growing individual researchers on the team
- Working with the team to evolve and innovate the UX Research practice at Shopify
- Identifying ways to maximize the UX Research team’s impact
- Aligning the team on our shared purpose and goals, support execution
- Collaborating closely with various leads (UX Research, Product, Design, Culture, Data, etc.) to make better decisions around culture, collaboration, tools, and product roadmaps
- In Toronto, researchers focus on helping merchants grow their businesses using better marketing tools and more ways to sell (e.g. point of sale, new sales channels)
Initially, the role will involve hands-on research to gain project and cultural context, then shift to leading and managing researchers, as well as innovating the UX Research practice.
You'll need to have:
- Experience leading, managing, and coaching a team of researchers (with specific examples of how you’ve grown and developed direct reports)
- Research experience in a product development or service design context
- Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better informed design decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions)
- Experience applying a range of research methods
- Familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data
- Examples of how you influenced teams or companies to become more people-centred
- Proven ability to build relationships between disciplines and cultivate collaboration
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Spoken at conferences or written about research, UX, design, or strategy
- Experience starting your own business
- Skills, hobbies, or experience that have given you a unique perspective on UX research
Join Shopify for:
- The opportunity to represent the customer and directly influence positive changes to our product and brand experience
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management. You’ll have both the support and the freedom to approach problems as creatively and efficiently as you can
- The chance to join an awesome UX team and continue our quest to Make Commerce Better for everyone who sells online, in-person, and everywhere in between
- The opportunity to learn and grow with the best in the business. We want you to do the best work of your career, and we’ll give you everything you need to make it happen
- A culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity in everything we do
If you're interested in this position please click "Apply Now" and we'll be in touch with you. Please make out your cover letter to Sophia!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.