About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how businesses of all sizes operate, market, and sell their products and services. With over 1,000,000 merchants in more than 175 different countries, powered by the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt the industry.
About the Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN)
The Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN) is a dispersed network of fulfillment centers, powered by machine learning that takes the pain out of warehousing and fulfillment for our merchants.
About this Role
We’re building a Centre of Excellence warehouse operation in Ottawa. This will be a functioning test bed, a place where we’re going to trial new warehousing and fulfillment technology, (think robots and automation), build and iterate on all the components of our growing Shopify Fulfilment Network and let our product teams see the highs and lows of warehousing and fulfillment first hand.
Oh, and we’ll be fulfilling live orders too.
The Warehouse Site Manager is going to be the glue that holds all the pieces together, creating a working warehouse environment that’s people-focused, safety obsessed and running optimally. You’ll need to bring everything you know about warehouse operations, but also be prepared to think about new ways of doing things. The SFN is a new take on an old business model, so we want you to have an opinion on the way we do things. This isn’t a job for someone who needs a process manual to do their job. Instead, we want you to bring your years of experience to help create a process manual for the way Shopify works. Put another way, your job is to implement best practices from your extensive experience, but also be excited to think about things in a new light, and be open to the expertise of others.
Here’s the type of thing you’ll be doing day to day:
- Working with our internal teams (Internal Operations, Security and Safety, Development, Operations) as well as external vendors to stand this facility up quickly and keep it running smoothly.
- Actively support and ensure compliance to the building’s health and safety program.
- Supervise and schedule warehouse and delivery staff to ensure safe and efficient operation of all warehouse functions. You’ll be doing this in conjunction with an external vendor, so an ability to lead through influence is essential.
- Supervise and schedule maintenance of company equipment and delivery vehicle by developing a maintenance program, both preventive and corrective.
- Recommend purchases of warehouse equipment and support services; keep abreast of new methods and products for improved material handling and shipping
- Operating warehouse equipment, including forklifts.
Requirements for the role
- You’ve either got to be living in Ottawa already, or able to move here.
- You need to have run fulfillment warehouses from an operations/facilities management standpoint before. You know what it takes to run a successful warehouse operations and (importantly), you know where the pitfalls are.
- You’ve worked in complex environments, with multiple stakeholders.
- You’re data driven. It’s impossible to overstate this one, you’ll have deep experience with performance metrics and process improvement (how, when, who). Most importantly, you’ll be able to translate this to your team in a human-centric approach.
- You’ve dealt with a contingent workforce during peak seasons.
- You’ve been accountable for meeting and exceeding operational goals, and you can provide clear evidence of this.
- Six Sigma and Lean certifications. File these ones under ‘nice to have.’ The reason we’re interested in these isn’t to tick a box, but because if you have them, you’re probably invested in self-development and learning about best practices. Doesn’t mean we want you to slavishly follow the ‘rules’, but knowing what they are is as important to us as knowing when to break them
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Nora, a recruiter on our team, is looking forward to reading your application.
This posting will close on Friday, November 22nd at 4pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Operations Analyst - Shipping Services||Business Operations||Ottawa, Canada|
|Program Quality Analyst - Shopify Fulfillment Network||Business Operations||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|