Your logo is more than just a group of symbols, letters, and colors. It’s the most recognizable brand identifier of your business, followed only by visual style and brand colors, and can be the driving force behind the success of your business.
In fact, 60% of consumers avoid brands that have an unattractive logo. So even if you have a great product or service, you can negate all your marketing and sales efforts without a good logo.
And yet, despite its importance, as a new business owner, it can be hard to cough up the money to pay for a professional logo designer. If you have little to no design experience, creating the perfect logo can seem like an impossible task.
If this sounds like you, don’t sweat it. This article will walk you through the best logo makers, plus a few affordable options if you have a little extra room in your budget.
Table of Contents
Why a professional logo is important to your brand
When it comes to your brand, first impressions matter. And the quality of your logo will ultimately determine the first impression you give off. A well designed logo can build trust and authority among your customers. A bad logo, on the other hand, can leave customers choosing to go with your competitor.
The effects of a low quality logo can be amplified across different channels—like social media, web, and print—if the colors or layout are done poorly.
You may have the best product or service in your industry, but an amateur looking logo can turn people off from giving your brand a try.
On the flip side, a well-designed business logo can:
- Grab potential customers’ attention. People have short attention spans. A great logo can attract the eye and communicate your brand values quickly.
- Make you recognizable. Logos are the foundation of your brand identity. It can differentiate you from competitors and help people remember your business across any channel. It's been said customers need to see your logo 5-7 times before you become memorable.
- Build customer loyalty. A professional logo can help you build trust with people before they even interact with your brand. While a logo won't do the job of your products and services, it will serve as a reminder for those who have had a good experience with your brand.
A small business especially won’t get far without a good logo. It can make you memorable, express your unique selling proposition, and connect with your audience, which can lead to better retention and sales over time.
Let’s look at some of the best paid and free logo makers to start designing your logo now.
Free Reading List: How to Brand Your Business
A great brand can help your products stand out from the crowd. Get a crash course in small business branding with our free, curated list of high-impact articles.
Get our Branding reading list delivered right to your inbox.
Almost there: please enter your email below to gain instant access.
Best free logo makers: apps and generators
Coming up with a well-designed, unique logo can be challenging. It can feel like you don’t know where to start and you’ll have to hire a professional designer to get the job done.
To help you find the perfect logo (without breaking the bank), we’ve put together a list of the best logo makers online that you can make for free, to make sure your branding design is memorable and differentiates you from the competition.
1. Shopify Logo Maker
If you’re looking for the best free logo maker online, Shopify has got you covered. As a mobile app for iOS and Android it helps you build a brand from scratch, right from the palm of your hand. It’s also trusted by 140,000+ business owners.
Just answer a few questions about your business and our logo maker will suggest logos from hundreds of available templates. From there, you can take advantage of the following benefits:
- Save time and money. The logo maker is free to use, so anyone can create incredible branded logos in minutes.
- Hundreds of templates. Choose from hundreds of distinct logo templates designed by professionals—all for free.
- Full brand packages. Your logo is just the starting point. Download your brand assets for Facebook, Twitter, instagram, and Youtube to grow your brand on social media. Want to be able to download your logo as JPG? You got it.
- Intuitive design studio. Customize colors, add icons, edit layouts, and more to build a unique brand.
- Tailored for your industry. Discover logos specifically for your industry. Provide us with your brand values and the tool will take care of the rest.
Our logo maker is free to use, whether you’re a Shopify merchant or not. There are premium logo templates you can buy within the app if you want something a little more professional. That said, you’ll only be charged if you decide to download them. Overall, it’s a handy tool if you’re looking to create a DIY logo for a free, and create something unforgettable that represents your brand.
Canva is probably the most hands-on logo designer on the list and can be great for beginners. Canva also has a fairly intuitive design process making it easy to get get started. The templates are broken down by niches such as badges, art/design, fashion, sports, food and drink, automotive, and more.
Some of the logos in this creator are clever and fun, but you’ll have to do the editing on your own. Canva’s design tool makes it really simple, plus, it has a ton of support articles to help if you get stuck on anything. Once you finish your design, you can download a high-resolution logo for free and use it as you please.
If you’ve ever used Canva for other design work, you’ll have no trouble getting up to speed quickly. It has become an incredibly popular logo creator tool for good reason.
3. Ucraft Logo Creator Tool
Logo Maker by Ucraft is a free logo generator that helps you create a professional logo in just a few clicks. You’ll find a selection of icons, fonts, and shapes to use for designing a logo from scratch. Then you’re free to export your new logo in PNG format for free or in SVG or EPS format for $7.
The result? You’ll get a transparent, high-resolution PNG file, so you can reuse it everywhere—and it’s completely free.
Website building platform Squarespace also has a great free logo creator that free and paid users alike can use to create high-quality logos from scratch. While they don’t have has many options as some of the others options listed above, their logo builder gives you enough to get started creating your logo.
You do have to sign up for a free account, but can download your created logo up to 5000px. If you use Squarespace for your website, it can be helpful to keep all your assets and branding under one roof. The logo editor also gives you the ability to easily see how your logo will look on business cards, your website, and even clothing apparel.
Best paid logo creator tools online
The following online makers are free to try. Some of them will allow you to download a low-resolution JPEG of your logo, but you’ll have to pay to download the vector files.
Looka is an interactive, AI-powered online logo design tool. When you visit Looka’s website, you enter your company name and click Get Started. You’re then prompted to type in your industry, be it consulting, restaurant, beauty, etc.
Once you input your industry, you’ll choose five or more logos for Looka to use as inspiration for your own. You can then pick your favorite color palette and give a little more information about your company. Lastly, you’ll select symbols for your logo, or you can have Looka pick the best symbols for you. Design using artificial intelligence continues to grow in popularity, as there are plenty of options to choose from spanning a wide range of creative styles.
The tool suggests 12 logos at first, but you can click Load More Logo! to get more ideas. Once you choose a logo you like, Looka will take you to an editor where you can make any last minute changes before downloading it. You can download the logo for a small fee or pay for an entire brand kit (with letterheads, social media icons, invoices, etc.) for $7.99 per month.
2. Tailor Brands Logo Maker
Tailor Brands Logo Maker offers a great free online logo creator. It asks you to enter a logo name (or any business name idea) and a tagline that describes your brand. You’re then prompted to answer questions about your business including:
- What you’re offering
- Your industry
- A business description
It then asks you a few questions about your style preferences. You’ll be asked to choose which logo types and font styles you prefer. By answering these questions, you’ll have a more targeted list of logos to choose from. It’ll also display your logo on business cards, social media profiles, t-shirts, and other branded assets. One thing to note: you’ll have to sign up for Tailor Brands’ email list to see your logo options.
Logomaker allows you to make a logo online in minutes and is especially well known for the platforms ease of use. Simply select your industry and add your brand name on the first screen. Then click Make A Logo, and you’ll be prompted to choose three logo types, font styles, and layouts. Then you’ll see a list of logo design ideas you can edit and save to make it your own.
If you want to own the copyright and download the vector files, you’ll have to pay a minimum of $40.
If you’re looking for premium logos, this online logo design tool will give you dozens of high-quality options to choose from. Designhill asks you a series of questions about your brand, then provides tailored options based on your answers. You can tweak colors, slogans, symbols, and other customization options to determine which style best fits your brand.
Designhill offers different payment options for your company logo, too. You can buy the logo file for $20, or you can buy logo files to use when building your website, social media, print, packaging, and branding for a $65 one-time payment.
BrandCrowd is another logo creation site for business owners. This one gives you logo ideas once you enter your business name and click Make Logos Now. You can also browse BrandCrowd has designed for inspiration before giving away any information. Once you find the perfect logo, you can personalize it in BrandCrowd’s editing tool. You’ll be able to tailor the layout, colors, text, shadows, and other design elements to fit your brand.
When you’re happy with your design, you can buy it for $45 and get high-resolution files and multiple logo variations.
6. GraphicSprings Logo Creator
If you’re looking for a powerful do-it-yourself logo design software, GraphicSprings is a good choice for you. You just have to enter your business name and tagline (optional) and an editor will appear. You’ll have access to a library of logos to start from, then you can customize any part to make it your own.
One of the great features it has is the ability to break down logo types depending on your business. Here are some examples:
Food and drink;
You can also hire someone from the GraphicSprings team to create a totally custom logo for you, if you aren’t satisfied with its logo creator. The logo generator is free to use, but you’ll need to pay $19.99 to save the design files.
Placeit offers over 13,000 different logo designs for you to choose from. All you need to do is enter your business name and industry into the generator and a list of cool logos will appear. Each logo has its own color scheme and aesthetic.
They’re also fully customizable. Simply click the logo you want and you’ll end up in Placeit’s editing tool. You can change text, symbols, color schemes, and more to create the best logo for your brand. Once you’re finished with the design, you can buy your logo for a one-time fee of $39.95.
Free logo design templates
A free logo design template can help build a memorable logo in minutes. Our pre-design templates include all the color schemes and design elements you need to create a professional looking logo in minutes.
We offer hundreds of templates and designs that fit any brand. You can access all of them for free, letting you create beautiful logos that stand out and connect with potential customers. Even if you don’t have design experience, you can still build a business logo you can be proud of—Shopify makes it super easy.
Logo design tips
DesignBuddy analyzed the world’s top brands and what their logos have in common. Here are some key insights from the research, which you might want to consider when designing your logo with one of the above logo design tools:
- 95% of the world’s top brands logos use one or two colors.
- 41% of those brands use stylized type as their logo.
- 93% are simple enough to be recognized at much smaller sizes.
When thinking about which colors to use for your logo, read this article from Buffer, which explores why Facebook is blue as well as the science of colors in marketing.
There are also a few important design rules to remember before diving into these logo design tools. These tips are taken from the design pros at Creative Bloq:
- Keep it simple. A simple logo design allows for easy recognition and allows the logo to be versatile and memorable. Effective logos feature something unexpected or unique without being overdrawn.
- Make it memorable. Following closely behind the principle of simplicity is that of memorability. An effective logo design should be memorable and this is achieved by having a simple yet appropriate logo. Experiment with your brand colors to find the perfect color combination that makes your logo pop.
- Design for the long-term. An effective logo should endure the test of time. The logo should be future proof, meaning that it should still represent your value proposition in five to ten years.
- Make it versatile. An effective logo should be able to work across a variety of mediums and applications.
Want to see the exact color codes for some of the world’s top brands? Take a look at BrandColors to get inspiration for your logo.
Free Worksheet: Brand Storytelling
Use this handy exercise as a guide to help you craft a compelling brand story and build a loyal audience through the power of storytelling.
Get our free Brand Storytelling Worksheet delivered right to your inbox.
Almost there: please enter your email below to gain instant access.
Common mistakes to avoid when designing a logo
Here are some common mistakes that we’ve come across when digging through thousands of ecommerce logos. Be sure to avoid these critical design errors when using one of the above online logo designers:
- Avoid using unattractive clip art.
- Don’t make your logo overly complex.
- Make sure it looks good in black and white.
If you’re ever in doubt when creating your logo, you can always hire a graphic designer to help. Head to the Shopify Experts to find one and make your business stand out.
Once you have the perfect logo, check out our hand-picked list of some of the best ecommerce website designs to inspire you!
Design your own logo today
Now you have a great idea of where to get started with your startup’s logo. So get inspired and get creative! With all of the logo design tools and resources above, you’re well on your way. If you have any tools or resources we may have missed, let us know in the comments below.
Illustration by Rose Wong
Ready to create your first business? Start your free trial of Shopify—no credit card required.
Best logo maker FAQ
How can I create my own logo?
- Create your brand identity.
- Look for design inspiration.
- Generate a logo with a free online app.
- Pick colors that represent your brand.
- Choose a font.
- Create a few rough versions of your logo.
- Get feedback.
- Refine your best design.
How can I make a logo for free?
- Visit Shopify's free Logo Maker tool
- Enter your business name and select the industry your business belongs to.
- Choose a logo style that best represents your brand. You can choose from a variety of styles such as modern, classic, playful, or minimalist.
- Customize your logo by selecting the font, color, and icon that best suits your brand. You can also add a tagline if you wish.
- Preview your logo and make any necessary adjustments.
- Once you are satisfied with your logo, click on the 'Download' button to download your logo files.
- You can now use your logo on your website, social media, business cards, and other marketing materials.
What are the best free logo makers?
- Shopify Logo Maker
- Tailor Brands Logo Maker
- GraphicSprings Logo Creator