TikTok, the Chinese-owned app formerly known as musical.ly, is hard to avoid these days. Now owned by parent company Bytedance, it’s one of the fastest-growing social media apps in the world. So, whether you’re thinking about starting a TikTok marketing strategy in 2022 or looking to finetune an existing one, there are certain TikTok statistics that you need to know.
Knowing TikTok facts like the number of users the platform has and its demographics can help guide you towards crafting an effective and successful strategy.
We’re here to get you well equipped, so read on to learn about the top TikTok stats all marketers need to know this year.
Table of Contents
- 1. How many people are on TikTok?
- 2. TikTok demographics: How old are people on TikTok?
- 3. Who uses TikTok more—men or women?
- 4. What country is TikTok popular in?
- 5. How many times has TikTok been downloaded?
- 6. How popular is TikTok?
- 7. How long do people spend on TikTok?
- 8. How fast is TikTok growing?
- 9. Do people shop on TikTok?
- 10. How much money does TikTok make?
- 11. How many influencers are on TikTok?
- 12. What’s TikTok’s engagement rate?
- 13. Use of TikTok in influencer campaigns
- 14. Most popular hashtags on TikTok
- 15. Most popular users on TikTok
- TikTok statistics: summary
TikTok user statistics
1. How many people are on TikTok?
In September 2021, TikTok announced it had reached one billion active users worldwide, with 142.2 million users in North America. Not only is it a milestone that few other social networks have reached, but it also achieved it in just 4.9 years.
In comparison, Facebook, commonly known as the king of social media, took 8.7 years to reach one billion users. Only one other platform, Facebook Messenger, got to the one-billion milestone quicker (in 4.9 years), and only by a small margin.
TikTok's growth has been unprecedented, and the numbers really say it all. At the start of January 2018, the platform had just 55 million users. In other words, it was able to grow its number of users by more than 18x in under four years.
2. TikTok demographics: How old are people on TikTok?
Now you know just how many people are on TikTok, knowing their user demographics can help you finetune your TikTok marketing strategy. The fact that TikTok tends to be more popular among Gen Z isn’t a mystery. But how many TikTok users are Gen Z?
The latest TikTok user statistics show that there are 386.6 million TikTok users aged 18 to 24, and they make up a whopping 43.7 percent of the platform’s users worldwide—the largest of all age groups.
The second-largest age range that TikTok users fall into is from 25 to 34, which makes up the bulk of the millennial age range. This group accounts for 282 million TikTok users, or 31.9 percent of the total.
These TikTok user statistics also show that the older the demographic, the less likely they are to be using TikTok. Here’s a breakdown of all TikTok users’ age demographics.
- 18 to 24: 386.6 million (43.7 percent)
- 25 to 34: 282 million (31.9 percent)
- 35 to 44: 115.5 million users (13 percent)
- 45 to 54: 57.1 million users (6.4 percent)
- 55 and above: 30.5 million users (3.4 percent)
3. Who uses TikTok more—men or women?
In terms of gender demographics, TikTok user statistics show that there are more female TikTok users than males globally. 57 percent of TikTok’s users worldwide identify as female, with the remaining 43 percent identifying as male.
If you plan to refer to these TikTok statistics when crafting TikTok ads, you may want to consider looking at numbers that are specific to your target market.
For instance, in the United States, female TikTok users stands at 62.1 percent, while males make up 37.9 percent. TikTok users in the United Kingdom, on the other hand, are made up of 59.7 percent females and 40.3 percent males.
4. What country is TikTok popular in?
With a billion users worldwide, it’s clear that TikTok users are scattered across many different continents and countries. But where are they mostly located?
Recent TikTok stats show that Southeast Asia is home to the majority of TikTok users, with 226.8 million of them located there. North America follows this with 142.2 million, and South America with 119.8 million.
Looking at specific countries, the data shows that the US has the most TikTok users. At 131 million, more than ten percent of global TikTok users are located there. Here’s a look at the countries TikTok is popular in and the number of users there are:
- United States: 131 million
- Indonesia: 92.1 million
- Brazil: 74.1 million
- Russia: 54.9 million
- Mexico: 46 million
TikTok stats: popularity among consumers
5. How many times has TikTok been downloaded?
TikTok has been downloaded more than 3.5 billion times as of January 2021. It was the most downloaded app in 2021, and it was also only the fifth app ever (and the only one not owned by Meta) to reach this milestone.
That’s not all. TikTok has been achieving over 10 million downloads per quarter for the past nine quarters. And it has also been leading the download charts quarter after quarter since early 2018.
TikTok’s global performance is mirrored in the United States, where it’s been the top downloaded app since the first quarter of 2021.
6. How popular is TikTok?
The above-mentioned TikTok statistics are proof of its popularity among social media users. But just how does it stack up against other social media platforms?
Ranked by the number of global active users, TikTok is currently the sixth-most popular social network globally. Ahead of it are:
- Facebook: 2.9 billion users
- YouTube: 2.6 billion users
- WhatsApp: 2 billion users
- Instagram: 1.5 billion users
- WeChat: 1.3 billion users
- TikTok: 1 billion users
But with analysts forecasting that TikTok will surpass 1.5 billion active users this year, it might just be a matter of time before TikTok breaks into the top five.
7. How long do people spend on TikTok?
Experts say that in 2022, US users are expected to spend an average of 38 minutes on TikTok every day. In comparison, they’re expected to spend 35 minutes on Twitter and 31 minutes on Facebook.
These are the only three social media networks on which US adults are set to spend more than half an hour a day.
Even though TikTok tops the charts this year, it’s still two minutes shorter than the amount of time US users had spent on the platform in 2021. This is probably due to the pandemic restrictions not being as strict in 2022.
8. How fast is TikTok growing?
Despite competing against the likes of Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube, TikTok’s expected to be the fastest-growing social media channel among marketers in 2022.
Its usage is set to increase by 40 percent this year, compared to 32 percent for Instagram and 29 percent for YouTube. Experts attribute this to the popularity of short-form video content, which is expected to rank among the top social media trends this year.
9. Do people shop on TikTok?
If making money on TikTok is one of your business goals, this is one TikTok statistic you need to pay close attention to.
20.6 percent of consumers who purchase products over social media say they do so all the time on TikTok, making it the platform with the highest percentage of frequent social shoppers. In comparison, just 16.6 percent of social media shoppers say they always purchase things on YouTube, while 16.4 percent do so on Instagram.
Connect with shoppers on TikTok
Shopify comes with powerful tools to help you tell your brand story and create TikTok in-feed ads in minutes. Make sales on TikTok and manage all your orders, returns, and payments from Shopify.Start selling on TikTok
What’s more, 67 percent of TikTok users say they feel inspired to shop even when they weren’t looking to do so.
Clearly, TikTok has the powerful ability to influence shoppers. There are even tools designed to help spur purchases. For instance, Shopify's TikTok sales channel makes it easy for marketers and business owners to add shopping tabs to a brand’s profile or links directly to product pages.
10. How much money does TikTok make?
Given TikTok’s popularity and the growing number of active users, it should come as no surprise that the platform’s revenue is in the billions.
Recent data on TikTok statistics show that it’s expected to triple its ad revenues this year to hit close to $12 billion, making up 1.9 percent of the total digital ad spend worldwide. US companies are expected to be responsible for more than half of this.
This is thanks to increased efforts in appealing to marketers. Over the past year, TikTok has worked hard to boost its advertising products and offerings as it tries to attract more brands to market on its platform.
TikTok’s ad revenues are set to continue growing over the next couple of years and are forecast to double its 2022 revenues and hit $23.58 billion by 2024.
TikTok stats: influencer channel
11. How many influencers are on TikTok?
If influencer marketing is part of your business strategy, then TikTok is one platform you should not be missing out on.
According to recent TikTok stats, there are 50,000 influencers (defined as having over 1,000 followers) on its platform. Here’s how they’re distributed according to follower count:
- 1,000 to 10,000 followers: 15 percent
- 10,000 to 50,000 followers: 16 percent
- 50,000 to 500,000 followers: 29 percent
- 500,000 to 1,000,000 followers: four percent
- More than 1,000,000 followers: 36 percent
12. What’s TikTok’s engagement rate?
Given their massive following, it may be tempting to collaborate with mega influencers (defined as those with over a million followers), but data shows that this may not be the best strategy if your goal is to drive engagement.
Mega influencers on TikTok have an average engagement rate of 4.96 percent. This is significantly higher than what mega influencers on Instagram and YouTube manage, with engagement rates of 1.21 percent and 0.37 percent, respectively.
That said, mega influencers on TikTok actually have the lowest engagement rate among all the different tiers of TikTok influencers. Those who have between half a million and one million followers have a 6.2 percent engagement rate, and this rises further to 6.67 percent for influencers with 100,000 to half a million followers.
At 17.96 percent, TikTok influencers with under 15,000 followers produce the highest engagement rates.
13. Use of TikTok in influencer campaigns
With such impressive numbers, it’s no wonder the platform is now the second-most popular network brands use for influencer marketing.
In 2021, 45 percent of brands used TikTok for their influencer marketing campaigns, just behind Instagram with 68 percent. This is significant because just a year ago, there were so few companies using it that it didn’t even warrant a mention by experts.
14. Most popular hashtags on TikTok
Whether it’s on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook, hashtags are part and parcel of the social media experience, and TikTok is certainly no exception to this.
Using hashtags in your posts helps to increase their reach and discoverability, which, in turn, boosts brand awareness. In fact, TikTok’s top 100 hashtags in 2021 were used in as many as 25 million videos.
The popularity of TikTok hashtags tends to ebb and flow, depending on the lifespan of their corresponding trends. But some have stuck around. According to research, these are some of the most popular hashtags on TikTok and the number of times the videos with these hashtags have been watched:
- #fyp: 23 trillion
- #foryoupage: 10 trillion
- #duet: 3 trillion
- #trending: 2 trillion
- #tiktokchallenge: 16 billion
15. Most popular users on TikTok
If you’re serious about getting your TikTok strategy right, you’ll have to learn from the best. This begins with knowing who most of the one billion TikTok users are following.
According to the latest numbers, 18-year-old Charli D’Amelio is the most popular user on TikTok, with over 140 million followers. She became the first TikToker ever to reach 50 million followers—a milestone she hit in just seven months.
Khaby Lame, an Italian social media personality, ranks second, with 137.3 million followers. Here’s a look at the five most popular users on TikTok and their follower count:
- Charli D’Amelio: 140.3 million
- Khaby Lame: 137.3 million
- Bella Poarch: 89.5 million
- Addison Rae: 87.5 million
- Will Smith: 71.9 million
TikTok statistics: summary
We hope these TikTok statistics have given you a better idea of how you need to market and sell on TikTok. With so much potential, it’s better to get your business on TikTok as soon as possible to make the most of what the platform has to offer.
Learn more: How to find TikTok Sound and Song Trends
Learn more: Best times to post on TikTok
Here’s a quick summary of the top TikTok stats of 2022:
- There are one billion TikTok users worldwide.
- 43.7 percent of TikTok users are aged 18 to 24.
- 57 percent of TikTok users are female
- The majority of TikTok users are in Southeast Asia, home to 226.8 million of them.
- TikTok has been downloaded more than 3.5 billion times.
- TikTok is the sixth-most popular social media network.
- Social media users in the US spend an average of 38 minutes on TikTok every day.
- The number of brands using TikTok is expected to increase by 40 percent this year.
- 20.6 percent of social media shoppers say they buy things on TikTok “all of the time.”
- TikTok ad revenues are set to hit close to $12 billion in 2022.
- There are 50,000 influencers on TikTok.
- TikTok influencers with under 15,000 have an average engagement rate of 17.96 percent.
- 45 percent of brands used TikTok in their influencer marketing campaigns in 2021.
- #fyp, #foryoupage, #duet, #trending, and #tiktokchallenge rank among the most popular TikTok hashtags.
- Charli D’Amelio is the most popular user on TikTok, with over 140 million followers.
Download the Shopify TikTok App