Facebook is one of the only places where people would rather be liked than loved. But while liking may build your numbers base, it’s sharing that gets you the love. It doesn't take much to get someone to click the 'like' button but aside from adding some glamour to your metrics and won't get you anywhere. If you produce quality content people want to share - they'll start to love you, and chances are they'll start to buy from you.
Here are five ways to get your fans to share your content:
1. Revamp Your Image & Video StrategyA picture is worth a thousand words, goes the saying. Online, a picture actually may be all you need to get noticed. Post lots of pictures and videos, and when you do make sure they're unique, and provoke some kind of emotion. Obviously, online store owners should have an album that contains product images and each photo should link to the corresponding product page in your online store. But you should also have a 'behind the scenes' album that gives your Facebook friends a peek behind the curtains of your operation. Also be sure to create an album to house pictures of your customers wearing / using your merchandise. Do a call out on Facebook, Twitter, and your ecommerce blog to get your customers to submit their photo!
2. Post Trending ContentFacebook loves timely content. Nobody wants to share yesterday's news today. Timely posts will get you shares, but keep in mind they don't have a long lifespan... often, they won't be relevant tomorrow, and certainly not 6 months from now. Make sure you post a mix of timely content and quality posts that will stand the test of time. Find out what's trending in your industry and comment on it. Say you're in the t-shirt business, go to a site like Topsy.com and type in t-shirt, or men's fashion. This free service will give you a list of what's trending in your industry. Share the news on your Facebook page, and add a little commentary to keep it interesting.
3. Show Some PersonalityA facebook post which only shares content is like an RSS reader – you can subscribe to it because of its news, but would you really want to interact with it? It's okay to keep your content short and to post often, but be sure to personalize your posts with quotes, thoughts, comments, and suggestions. They're called "Facebook Friends" for a reason - you want to treat your Facebook following as friends, so be personal with them! Bring them into your life a little, compliment them, ask for opinions, complain every now and then, go on a rant about something that bugs you (but keep it playful), and be yourself!
4. Contests, Freebies, PollsWho doesn't love free stuff? One of the best ways to get your Facebook fans to share content is to hold a contest. Start small as a proof of concept - perhaps something like "What's your favorite running shoe that we sell? We'll pick an answer at random and send you a free pair." If you get a good response you can up the ante. Polls are also a great way to strike up engagement and encourage sharing. Find something interesting to talk about (maybe it's a trending topic that you've discovered on Topsy), and ask for your audience's opinion.
5. Sell on Facebook!Traditionally, ecommerce merchants used Facebook only to drive traffic to their online store. But nowadays, people are shopping on Facebook more and more. Shopify store owners can easily sell their products on Facebook by using one of the apps in our Shopify App Store. Simply link Fliptabify, Beetailer, Wishpond, or Zibaba up to your Shopify store and you'll be able to make sales on Facebook within minutes.
Update: We're happy to bring you a new Shopify feature to sell directly on your Facebook page - Learn how to setup your Facebook Store.