Most domain names for your Shopify store now cost just $9. If you’re using the free yourstore.myshopify.com address for your online store, now is the time to register your store a professional domain name. The benefits of owning your own domain are plenty, and using Shopify to register a domain is fast and easy.
Does your online store already have a custom domain name? It’s a good idea to protect your brand name and register all other possible domain extensions for your online store.
Here are the benefits of registering a .com, .net or other domain name with Shopify:
- It’s the easiest, fastest way to register and activate a domain for your store.
- You receive 1 year of use, automatically renewed until you cancel your Shopify store or domain.
- We handle all the technical stuff like DNS settings and CNAMEs.
- Automatic setup of http://yourstore.com, http://www.yourstore.com and http://shop.yourstore.com.
- Optional access to full DNS configuration and WHOIS details, in case you need to make manual changes.
Already have a custom domain name?Even if you already have a domain name for your online store, you should protect your brand by registering other domain extensions. For example, if you own yourstore.com you should consider getting yourstore.net, yourstore.info, etc. as well. If you plan on selling in international markets, you may also want to consider getting country specific domain names like yourstore.ca, yourstore.co.uk, yourstore.com.au, etc. Shopify supports registering and allowing your store to be accessed by multiple domain names.
Owning multiple domain names is especially important for established businesses that plan on growing and expanding operations. If you delay and someone else picks them up, you may be unable to obtain them or be forced to spend a lot of money to register them at a later date.
Check our latest post for a list of business name generator tools to help you find the perfect domain name.