Refund policy template for your website
A good refund or return policy can help protect your company and win your customers’ trust, but making sure your language is clear and concise is extremely important. Our return policy template can help make it easy to generate a professional, ready-to-use refund or return policy.
Input your details into the refund policy generator below and we'll email you a free, custom policy for your company.
Get your refund policy plus a free 3-day trial of Shopify
These sample templates are not legal advice and by using them you agree to .
A refund policy, also known as a return policy, is a document that informs your customers about how your company deals with refunds or returns of the products you’re selling. A company’s policy on refunds or returns is completely discretional, meaning there is no legal obligation to offer refunds or returns. That said, almost all retail companies offer some form of refunds or returns because it creates fairness (e.g. if a product is defective) and builds trust between a seller and a buyer. Most often, you can find a refund policy online on a company website and on a purchase receipt.
- - How long does the customer have to return the item?
- - In what condition can items be returned?
- - Will a refund be issued, and if so, how much and what type (e.g. store credit or refund)?
- - How do exchanges work?
- - Do you accept returns or refunds for sale items?
- - Who will pay for shipping?
Shopify’s free policy generator tool was developed and reviewed by legal experts. The tool itself is easy to use, to get started:
- 1. Go to shopify.com/tools/policy-generator/refund
- 2. Enter your email and company information
- 3. Wait for your personalized policy to arrive in your inbox
- 4. Customize your policy based on the suggestions provided
The policy generator is a free tool Shopify offers to businesses. That means there is no cost to use it. There are several other free policy generators available to use from Shopify:
- - Refund policy
- - Terms and conditions