With 88 percent of TikTokers saying audio is “essential” to their overall experience on the app, knowing how to find trending sounds on TikTok poses massive potential for brands to grow on the platform.
TikTok sound statistics
- 73 percent of users would “stop and look” at TikTok ads that have audio
- 50 percent say TikTok content is more “uplifting, energizing, and engaging” with music
- Users are eight times more likely to remember a brand for the unique sounds and songs it uses in its TikTok videos than other elements such as visual style, color, slogan, and logo
That said, countless songs and original audios are being used every single day. Coupled with the ever-evolving trends, how can you know what’s trending to leverage them in your TikTok marketing strategy?
Thankfully, some resources help you identify what’s hot. Here are eight effective and easy ways to find trending sounds on TikTok for your videos.
Table of Contents
- 1. Scroll the For You page
- 2. Use TikTok’s search bar
- 3. Browse TikTok’s sound library
- 4. Use TikTok’s Creative Center
- 5. Leverage TikTok sound finder Tokboard
- 6. Check out Spotify’s playlists
- 7. Hop over to YouTube
- 8. Pay attention to the Billboard Hot 100 chart
- Tip 1: Look at how they’re being used
- Tip 2: Save them as favorites
- Tip 3: Consider your target audience
- Tip 4: Search for unique trending sounds
- How to find trending sounds on TikTok: Summary
How to find trending sounds on TikTok
1. Scroll the For You page
When thinking about how to find trending sounds on TikTok, one of the first things that come to mind is doing so through the app itself—in particular, via the popular For You page.
Whether you’re new to TikTok or a frequent user, there’s no doubt you spend the bulk of your TikTok time on the For You page, as it’s one of the app’s core features. When browsing through there, look at what sort of videos others are posting and the sounds they’re using.
One of the best parts of finding trending sounds on TikTok through the For You page is that it requires almost no additional effort or time, as you can easily do it during your use of TikTok. Chances are, you may not even need to pay special attention to what you hear, as any trending sounds or songs will definitely be repeated over and over again as you scroll. After a few minutes, you’ll start to recognize what’s trending.
It’s worth noting here that the content on the For You page differs from user to user. This is because it caters to users’ personal interests and the TikTok communities they belong to. If you want to create brand content that appeals to your target audience, find out what sort of content they see on their For You page by doing market analysis.
2. Use TikTok’s search bar
TikTok makes it very easy for users to find trending sounds on its app. Here’s how:
1. Open the TikTok app
2. Go to the search function at the top of the screen
3. Search for “viral sounds” (or any other similar keyword)
4. Once results are loaded, hop on over to the “sounds” tab. You’ll see a list of trending sounds on TikTok and the number of times they’ve been used in TikTok videos.
5. Alternatively, you can also go to the “hashtags” tab to see what popular hashtags related to sounds are being used. Videos with #viralsound, for instance, have been viewed 1.8 billion times.
3. Browse TikTok’s sound library
Another way to find trending sounds on TikTok is using the app’s very own sound library.
Here’s how to access it:
- Open the TikTok app
- Click on the + sign at the bottom of the screen as you would when posting a new video
- Tap on the “add sound” option at the top of the screen
- Scroll down to “playlist” and browse through any playlist that could feature trending songs like “TikTok Viral,” “Featured,” and so on. Note that the playlists that show up in this section may differ from user to user. Since you’re looking for trending sounds, any playlist that suggests it could include popular sounds is worth a look.
4. Use TikTok’s Creative Center
Where better to find trending songs on TikTok than from TikTok themselves?
TikTok’s Creative Center allows users to view the most popular songs on the app and even filter them by region. The latter comes in particularly handy when your target market is located in an area different from yours.
Clicking on any song on the list will also show you a graph charting its general performance over the past week.
Note that you have to log in to the Creative Center to gain full access to the data. Getting an account is free with a TikTok Business Account, which is also free.
5. Leverage TikTok sound finder Tokboard
Beyond TikTok, there are plenty of external resources you can leverage to find trending songs.
Tokboard, formerly known as Tiktometer, is one such place. It’s a platform run on a data-collection engine that monitors data directly from TikTok itself. According to its latest numbers, it has data on over 80 million popular TikTok videos.
What’s great about Tokboard is that on top of having a list of trending TikTok songs, it even shows you pretty detailed data—and a chart—about a particular song or remix. This includes:
- The number of times the song has been played
- The number of popular videos featuring this song
- The popular hashtags related to this song
- The top countries using this song
There’s even a link that takes you straight to the videos on TikTok.
6. Check out Spotify’s playlists
Another great place to find trending songson TikTok is none other than the leading music streaming provider, Spotify.
Simply key in “TikTok” in the search bar and select “playlists.” There, you’ll find playlist after playlist of the top trending sounds on TikTok curated by users.
But if there’s only one user you should be paying attention to, let that be TikTok’s very own Spotify account. They currently have 10 public playlists with the latest TikTok hits, sorted by region.
7. Hop over to YouTube
Popular video-sharing platform YouTube is also a wonderful resource for trending songs on TikTok.
In the search bar, enter keywords such as “trending tiktok sounds” or “trending tiktok songs” and you’ll have a plethora of options. In fact, simply typing in “trending tiktok” prompts YouTube’s autocomplete predictions, and you’ll get a list of search suggestions.
YUMMY is one account you want to follow to stay up-to-date with trending sounds on TikTok as it publishes a new video with the latest TikTok hits every single day.
What’s more, Redlist also compiles music videos of the most popular TikTok songs every few months and even lists the names of these songs for easy identification.
8. Pay attention to the Billboard Hot 100 chart
Last but certainly not least, the Billboard Hot 100 chart is a resource you want to check out when looking for trending sounds on TikTok.
More than 175 trending songs on TikTok in 2021 were featured on that list. This is twice as many as the previous year—an indication that perhaps more trending sounds on TikTok this year will also be featured on their charts.
Tips on finding trending sounds on TikTok
Look at how they’re being used
When you’ve chosen a trending sound for your TikTok content, look at how it’s being used, especially in the videos that are going viral. This gives you a better idea of how to participate in the TikTok trend.
Also, consider reading through the comments section of these videos for feedback from other users to understand what you can improve on or avoid doing.
If you want to go the extra mile, don’t simply imitate what others are doing. This is your chance to be creative and put your own spin on it. A little out-of-the-box thinking can be the key to getting your videos to go viral on TikTok!
Save them as favorites
Once you come across a trending TikTok sound or song you want to use, don’t forget to save them as favorites. This saves you the effort of having to locate them again when you’re ready to use them in your TikTok posts.
But how long a TikTok sound can trend for is anyone’s guess. Some can potentially go on for months on end or even resurface in the future. To that end, saving them as favorites allows you to come back to them easily at a later date. It’s much like having your own personalized library of trending TikTok sounds at your fingertips!
Consider your target audience
Aside from looking for songs and sounds that are trending across TikTok, pay close attention to those that are specific and relevant to your target audience.
Even though some of these sounds may not be as hot, there’s a chance they’ll resonate just as well—if not better—with your target audience.
Search for unique trending sounds
Remember, TikTok isn’t just about music. Users can also create unique sounds that are fun to make videos with. So catchy and trendy songs aside, knowing how to find trending sounds on TikTok is also important.
To do that, your best bet would be to browse on the TikTok app itself (i.e. via the For You page and TikTok’s search bar).
Here’s a summary of the eight ways to find trending sounds and songs on TikTok:
- Scroll through your For You page for inspiration
- Search for what’s trending on the TikTok app’s search bar
- Browse around TikTok’s sound and music library
- Use TikTok’s Creative Center to see what songs are trending and their performance data
- Leverage Tokboard’s data, which monitors and tracks data from TikTok
- Check out the playlists of popular TikTok songs on Spotify
- Hop on over to YouTube for the latest lists of hot TikTok songs
- Pay attention to the Billboard Hot 100 chart
We hope you’ve found these eight ways to find trending sounds on TikTok useful. Given the popularity of audio on TikTok, including the hottest hits in your TikTok content can really help to increase your reach and, ultimately, sell on TikTok.
Learn more: Free video editing software
Trending sounds on TikTok FAQ
How do you find top trending sounds on TikTok?
- Open the TikTok app.
- Go to the search function at the top of the screen.
- Search for “viral sounds” (or any other similar keyword).
- Once results are loaded, hop on over to the “sounds” tab. You’ll see a list of trending sounds on TikTok and the number of times they’ve been used in TikTok videos.
- Alternatively, you can also go to the “hashtags” tab to see what popular hashtags related to sounds are being used. Videos with #viralsound, for instance, have been viewed 1.8 billion times.
How do you see what TikTok sounds are trending?
- Scroll the For You page
- Use TikTok’s search bar
- Search for “viral sounds” (or any other similar keyword)
- Browse TikTok’s sound library
- Use TikTok’s Creative Center
- Leverage TikTok sound finder Tokboard
- Check out Spotify’s playlists
- Hop over to YouTube
- Use TikTok’s Creative Center
- Pay attention to the Billboard Hot 100 chart
Why are sounds not available for commercial use on TikTok?
Business accounts on TikTok are not able to use popular songs unless they have the required license for use, due to the risk of running into copyright issues. Music that’s available for commercial use can be found in the Commercial Music Library. Personal accounts may still use popular songs.